Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Leg/Thigh Getting Up to Temp

Options
I cooked a whole chicken indirect at 375. Breast hit 165 using in oven probe so took it out only to discover the legs and thighs were way undercooked at approx 150. any ideas why this would happen? Clearly if I left it in the egg to get leg/thigh to 180 the breast would be toast.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I never do whole chickens, only spatchcocked (butterflied). I place them on the grid so the legs are at the back (nearest the hinge, it's usually hotter back there). The legs/thighs cook to a higher temp. If you're cooking an uncut bird, the same would apply. If parts, dark meat back, breasts nearer the handle.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    tying or trussing the bird actually hurts 'done' temps in my experience.  it pulls the legs and wings tight to the bird, increasing cook time.

untrussed, the wings and legs splay out and cook all sides.

we also stuff the bird with herbs, lemon, celery, etc.

without the cavity stuffed, it allows open air into the cavity to cook the breast from outside and in.

so, stuffing the cavity slows the cooking of the breast.  and letting the legs/wings splay open (untrussed), they get reached by heat on all sides

with most people tying up the bird, but not stuffing, you'll find more cases over overdone breast and underdone dark meat.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Was this direct, raised direct, indirect or raised indirect? How are you placing the bird on your grid?  I recommend breast toward the front and thighs pointing toward the hinge assy.
    I've done them trussed, CI pan, splayed, beer can or chicken sitter, ballotine or galantine.  Splaying does help for evenly browning and the meat tends to be ready faster too.  Experiment with it.  Each way has benefits and pitfalls.  Half the fun is learning what works for you.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    What about bags of ice on the breasts before cooking like they recommend with a turkey?  Would that help?
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California