Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table top question

Options
 I'm in a pickle with determining what kind of table top I want for my new table.

I originally wanted granite,  but after shopping around the granite was going to cost me $1300.  That included the hole cut out for the egg as well as the edges being finished.  The table will be 8' X 3'..
 This is obviously going to be out of the question.

I did find a place that has "scrap" granite and they have several of the same pieces that are 8' long by 18" wide.  So basically I have to put two of these pieces together hoping that they match, then I have to be concerned about a seam running lengthways from end to end then I have to cut out a hole.  Seems like too much work and the eyesore of have an a seam in the middle of the table for $300 for these two pieces.

With that being said my next option is to go ahead and tile the table top. Im guessing Durock as a backer and then some nice 4x4 or 6x6 tile.
 With you guys that have tile as a tabletop do you regret going this route?  Is it harder to keep clean especially with the grout lines?

What type of tile did you use (porcelain, ceramic etc)
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• BBQpilot
    Options
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Na..
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    What color stone were you looking at? For the pricing I hear is in Florida right now it must have been somewhat of an exotic.  Can you pick a lesser expensive color?  Was it a remnant or did you choose a full slab?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Use a metal top. I used aluminum. Had metal supermarkets cut the outside dimension then cut the hole myself or for a bit more money get a stainless top made. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    What color stone were you looking at? For the pricing I hear is in Florida right now it must have been somewhat of an exotic.  Can you pick a lesser expensive color?  Was it a remnant or did you choose a full slab?

All different colors. Was about $50 a square foot. Price not negotiable. They only charge for the SF you buy not the entire slab. 
    I can't find a 96" X 36" remnant around here
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Use a metal top. I used aluminum. Had metal supermarkets cut the outside dimension then cut the hole myself or for a bit more money get a stainless top made. 
    Thought about 1/8" diamond plate. But that aluminum scratches easily.
  • BilZol
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Thought about 1/8" diamond plate. But that aluminum scratches easily.
    It's what I used. I've only had it a month or two. Really haven't had problems to this point since it is diamond plate. I figured it was less trouble to take care of then granite, could take the heat from the egg and grids and such, and is cheap enough to replace if it gets real bad. I'll see in a year or so. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The frame will be built and welded out of 2" square tubing. I have a friend who works at a Ford dealership and will spray the frame with truck bed liner, so no rust ever. I can choose any color I want  :D

so now that the diamond plate is brought up, I may go that route and spray it as well. 
  • Captain_Paul
    Options
    There's your granite. Find a leftover piece you like and just have it cut to a rectangle. Lots cheaper and you save having the hole cut. I found no need to actually have granite surround my egg but I wanted a granite work surface. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • BilZol
    Options
    I used the 2X2 as well. I sized my top to the BGE dimensions so I could find covers which I did. I don't know if I'd spray the top though. Dunno if you could put a hot grate/platesetter/CI pan on it. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    BilZol said:
    I used the 2X2 as well. I sized my top to the BGE dimensions so I could find covers which I did. I don't know if I'd spray the top though. Dunno if you could put a hot grate/platesetter/CI pan on it. 
    2x2 steel tubing or wood posts?
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

There's your granite. Find a leftover piece you like and just have it cut to a rectangle. Lots cheaper and you save having the hole cut. I found no need to actually have granite surround my egg but I wanted a granite work surface. 
    Ehhhh, not my taste to be honest. 
  • BilZol
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Tubing. I don't think wood would last well up here. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Yes, your design inspired me for the steel tubing lol. 
    I priced it out, 2x2x1/8" thick is $3 LF.  Sound about right?
    I estimate i need 85 LF since table is 3x8
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    BilZol said:
    BilZol said:

What did you put around the hole for the egg? ?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Are you opposed to SS?  I think you'd appreciate it especially if you're coastal.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Here's a look at myntile top table.   I think it would be much more difficult to tile around a circle.   I do like this one and it keeps pretty clean after sealing the grout. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BilZol
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    BilZol said:
    BilZol said:

I used Trim-Lok. It's aluminum and PVC. I bought 1/8" size but if I did it over again I would go one size up. The 1/8" apparently doesn't account for the diamond plate. Also, to do outside corners you need a die cutter that's pricy. I opted for file work to round the corners and soften the edges. These pics may not show that. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Here's a look at myntile top table.   I think it would be much more difficult to tile around a circle.   I do like this one and it keeps pretty clean after sealing the grout. 
    Nice tile.  Unfortunately I have a XL egg  that needs to be set and a table.  Regardless of which route I go I'm going to have to cut a hole somewhere.

My minimax can sit on top of the table like yours though
  • Tspud1
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Tspud1 said:
    BilZol said:
    BilZol said:

I used Trim-Lok. It's aluminum and PVC. I bought 1/8" size but if I did it over again I would go one size up. The 1/8" apparently doesn't account for the diamond plate. Also, to do outside corners you need a die cutter that's pricy. I opted for file work to round the corners and soften the edges. These pics may not show that. 

Any problems with heat distorting the trim? Could you message me a link to that particular Trim_Lok part, they make a wide range of products and material. Thanks
  • BilZol
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @Tspud1

I haven't had any problems with it. I've done low and slows to pizza with them several times. For my L the hole is 22". Bottom shelf that egg rests on to top is 15" with egg on table nest. No paver since I'm all metal. 

Trim-Lok Edge Trim PVC/Aluminum with Textured Black Finish, Single Gripping Finger, 9/16 inch, Height 1/8 inch, Length 25 feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL3YSGK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gwniyb58D4MA1
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Tspud1
    Options
    @BilZol I want to put it around this opening on table top
  • BilZol
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    @BilZol I want to put it around this opening on table top
    Nice table. I'm envious of all the drawers. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Since it's smooth order the correct thickness. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options
    Went with tile on top and around the sides.  I periodically spray it with a hose, maybe scrub with a brush and soap if there is a lot of grease.

• dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    I love these table threads.  Our stand is built into our deck, and the deck is going to get re-done sometime this winter, at which point I'll need to rebuild the stand.  Inspiration is always nice!
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks