Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Trick or treaters

Options
So.  Curious how it is everywhere else.

This year we had 6..... I repeat SIX trick or treaters

10 years ago we were getting 150 or so that night.

WTF is happening?  People afraid to let their kids out?  Kids too obsessed staying inside on their phones?

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    We had a couple hundred kids come by last night.  I think it's mostly a function of how many kids live in your neighborhood, and whether or not you give out good candy.

Maybe @SGH can comment on how many takers he got for the candied pig testicles.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Had 1 three years ago and then 2 last night. But these ones called ahead. 
    We don't get many out in the country. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited November 2016
    Options
    We're off the beaten path so in 37 years we have had only 3 and then that family moved away! Even my s-i-l who lives in town used to get 250 - 300 only had 84 last night. She also noticed over the years the numbers have been dropping off in direct portion to the number of car loads of little ones being bussed in to her neighborhood.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    We had a couple hundred kids come by last night.  I think it's mostly a function of how many kids live in your neighborhood, and whether or not you give out good candy.

MAN... that's a lot.

I figured we would have tons.  Every day I see about 20 or so kids get off the bus on my street.  Another 30 or so on the street over.

Had plenty of good candy and the only house on the street with halloween decorations :(

Maybe they didn't come down because my street is dark, other than my house.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Over the last 15 years at my place: 0

Last night I went out with the kid and 2 grandkids over their place. There were kids all over.  It was like they portray in movies.  It was awesome because I got dressed up as well.  It was fun to be offered beer. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I've lived here 18 years & I've had 0 for 18 years.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    They come by the truck and trailer load in my neighborhood. This year there were a few unloading golf carts off trailers, and carting them around by golf cart. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    All I know is that some of these kids were way too old to be out getting candy.  Parents need to draw the line at puberty.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I had about a dozen. Used to be more, but I live in an older neighborhood. The little girl across the street is now 23! 

No one here would be afraid to let their kids out. Extremely safe neighborhood. It's just that no one here HAS any kids! My "kids" are 41 and 38 and they haven't lived here in a very long time! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    First year we lived here (1996) we bought a **** ton of candy. Good sized neighborhood. Still had candy two yrs later. Maybe get 40/yr. my hood is boring. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    We had quite a few come by.  Activity picked up later during the allotted time.  When we first moved in, they would drive to our neighborhood by the carload and trick or treat.  We came close to running out of candy once.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    We had 150+
    we did our part to support the local dentists. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Prob had a good 200 come through. They close our neighborhood off from traffic, and must bring them in from other areas.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I got a rock.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2016
    Options
    To the OT question...we had 9.  Our area is spread out a bit with acreage lots.  This is the first year we've had this few.  Over the last 20sum years it's usually around 25-40.  But, the 9 we did get got several fist(s) full of candy.  Had the MM going and watching our movies on the shed like we do each year.

Did some traditional pizzas on Naan and one Halloween Candy Pizza on Naan

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Had about 50.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Neighborhoods go through cycles- kids for awhile, they grow and it slows.  Parents retire, downsize, young couples move in and it starts anew. 

We had more this year than we have had in a while- 50 year old neighboorhood and we are turning over young families. It was a lot of fun- 

Greensboro, NC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Brother in Carolina, every year I put on a hayride, set up outdoor games (horseshoes, corn hole, apple bob etc) and we have numerous kids come participate. However in the 9 years that we have lived here, not a single trick or treater. I don't understand that. Numerous come for the hayride and games, but not one single trickster in 9 years. Not one.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Had six as well yesterday including my nephew.  Had tons last year. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    It's the concern about the pending adult and media driven clown show next week-   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    We had around 500. We live in Atlanta proper so it is pretty dense with kids 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Not sure since we put a huge bowl out while we take our kids out. there is a ton of kids though and people out with fires, parties, drinks. Once i got back towards the end i probably had 20 or 30 stop by. its an older neighborhood with a ton of younger couples moving in
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Neighborhoods go through cycles- kids for awhile, they grow and it slows.  Parents retire, downsize, young couples move in and it starts anew. 

We had more this year than we have had in a while- 50 year old neighboorhood and we are turning over young families. It was a lot of fun- 

Bingo.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• deanrs
    Options
    We only had 7 this year. Down from previous years when we averaged 25.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    no rotten eggs on the house, no smashed pumpkins, no waxed windows, i dont get it =)   one street over from me and its a mob scene with trick or treaters but my street there is none
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    We had the same number we've had every year for 30 years... ZERO.  We live in the country,  (Chatham county, just below you JohnInCarolina), in the woods at the very end of a 1/2 mile gravel road.  It's just how we like it.  However, every year we buy a couple big bags of candy... just in case.  ;)
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

We got over 200 kids, ran out of candy. Borrowed some from the neighbor, then hubby got his personal stash out of his car and handed that out. Two huge bags of Costco candy did not last long.

We live in the city, in a nice neighborhood that is next to a sketchy one. Many drop offs, but a lot of parents with the kids. I consider it a compliment that parents bring their kids to our neighborhood as it is very safe.

We don't mind the teenagers, they could be doing worse on Halloween.

We have done this for years, our grandson joins us, with a few friends, a firepit and beer. Good times!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    no rotten eggs on the house, no smashed pumpkins, no waxed windows, i dont get it =)   one street over from me and its a mob scene with trick or treaters but my street there is none
    if you want rotten eggs and smashed pumpkins, i can swing by later today.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    if you want rotten eggs and smashed pumpkins, i can swing by later today.

46 palanga =) its not my house but it would make my day
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited November 2016
    Options
    For the small amount of time we had the light on before venturing out into the fray we had probably 30, would have been a lot more but we had to take the kids around. Then again we have a lot of younger families in the neighborhood.  A lot of our friends brought their kids over for the festivities, we had fun!
    LBGE
    AL