Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre-Halloween Brisket Success!

Options
TideEggHead
TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
edited October 2016 in Beef
Once again after lurking and seeing all the wonderful brisket cooks recently, my mouth was watering! I guess you could call this a baby brisket cook (4lbs). This was my first brisket cook so I was a little nervous going in without an electronic temp controller.

Trimmed fat and seasoned with Dr. BBQ's #67
Set egg at 235 degrees
Layed on the meat fat side down for 1 hour (started at 9:30am)
Flipped to fat side up until the IT got to 160 degrees (2 hours)
Pulled and wrapped in tin foil and added some fresh coffee (community coffee)
Put the brisket back on the egg for 1 hour then started checking the temp
Fire went out at 1:30pm and it took me about 45 minutes to get everything back to normal!!
Pulled at IT 200 degrees at 5:30pm
rested for 30 minutes then sliced

Put some Hawaiian buns on the grill for 30 seconds then we made brisket sandwiches!

All gone within 5 minutes B)
Still room for improvement but it can only get better from here!
LBGE
AL

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That is a tough cook to pull off and you nailed it. Congrats, looks delicious!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Most eggcellent right there.  Flats can be a challenge but as long as you had the "probes like buttah" feel you are there.
    Hope you sorted out the cause for the loss of fire.  Learn something every cook.   

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm pretty positive the fire loss came from adjusting the vents. I had a temp spike up to 300 so I adjusted the vents to bring it back down to 235, I'm thinking I cut the air flow a little too long in between and the fire died. Still working on my skills with minor vent adjustments!
    LBGE
    AL