Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg cabinet rather than table

Options
Hello all, 

Just ordered my first egg (picking up a demo from an egg fest in a couple of weeks).

I have a strange idea and was wondering if anyone else has tried this. I would like to keep my egg on the nest so it will be easier to move out from under a low awning when cooking. For safety, I would like to be able to roll it into a cabinet of some sort that locks.. I don't live in a bad neighborhood, just paranoid, plus it will be sure to protect the egg from the elements. I was thinking of building a table into my deck, that steps up on one side and has a small door with lock. Any suggestions? Has anyone seen anything like this? I cant seem to find anything like it online. Everyone just builds tables, which are nice too, just not what I'm looking for. 

Appreciate any help or comments. 

Dan

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Out of sight out of mind huh? Seems like an outer lockable cabinet wouldn't be all that difficult to design and make, but if it is wood that really wouldn't provide too much protection. Instead how about a metal frame with chain link fence skin. Granted a determined thief could get through it in time, but take far longer than a wooden enclosure. Even those masking strips could help mask the egg behind the fence.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Welcome! I'm not sure if it's worth the risk. Hiding or enclosing a warm grill out of the way might be risky. I watched my neighbors house burn down to the studs from their grill being on the back wooden deck. Maybe I'm a little paranoid but hate to see or hear something like that happen again to a family. If you're looking to hide it from strangers toss a Weber grill cover over it when not in use. Most thief's aren't after grills. I keep my eggs in the garage and roll them out to the driveway when needed. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Will
    Will Posts: 17
    Options
    You also want it to be able to breathe when youre cooking.  if it's in a cabinet, it may not get suffiecent air.  
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago I went to light my MM. I had cooked in it the night before. Stirred the lump and poured some alcohol over the used lump. Sat down in the garage. Notice a burning smell. Egg relit. 18 hrs later. Think about that before you put an egg in a confined space. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago I went to light my MM. I had cooked in it the night before. Stirred the lump and poured some alcohol over the used lump. Sat down in the garage. Notice a burning smell. Egg relit. 18 hrs later. Think about that before you put an egg in a confined space. 
    @theyolksonyou Did you accidently spill bourbon from your red plastic Dixie Cup on to the used coals?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @yukonron I'm very careful with my bourbon. It was 91% rubbing alcohol. Out of propane at the moment. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @yukonron I'm very careful with my bourbon. It was 91% rubbing alcohol. Out of propane at the moment. 
    I was concerned.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I like your out of the box thinking. As great of an idea it is, the only way I would do that is if the box would be away from the house, or made of a material that can not burn. Where do you plan to have the egg? On concrete, on a wooden deck, on the grass, next to a house?
  • Whitedj17
    Options
    I have no plans to cook while in the box, it is just for storage

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    What if instead of putting it in a box, just build something similar to a cage around it where you will use the egg? Such a cage could be built where you would have easy access to the egg, but it could not be stolen. Granted, it would look funny, but it would work.
    If the box you were talking about is not free standing, but rather, attached to the house, an egg no longer being used to cook can still burn down a house.