Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron pan for bge

Options
looking for a cast iron pan for when I cook sides like sliced potatoes, pepper and onions and such. I have a lodge skillet like pictured below but would like to find something that size without the the long Handle. What do you guys use? 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    just find the size pan or griddle you want and then cut off the handle. Cast iron is a very soft metal and a hack saw will cut it like butter!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Lodge makes a cast iron pot with a lid that doubles as a skillet. Neither piece has a long handle. https://www.lodgemfg.com/dutch-ovens/5-quart-cast-iron-double-dutch-oven.asp

Some guys just hacksaw the handle off a cast iron skillet.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

I use a Blackstone.   it sits next to the egg.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Agreed - find the pan size you need and cut off the handle. I've done it for my small & mini eggs now
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • CamadoCeg
    Options
    This is my 16" and I love it. It will fill your Lbge just right. The pic is on my xl. That is if you want a lot of cooking space. Great for smash burgers. I found it on eBay
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Forgot to mention a paella pan. Sorta like the above, but steel, not CI. Many sizes. Basically what you showed in your first pic, but with two D-handles.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Lots of good advice above. I have several pans and Dutch ovens in cast iron and carbon steel that all serve their purpose. 

One of my faves is a cast iron squared off pan with D handles. Fits my Mini Max perfectly, meaning there is good room around it on a large. 
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    looking for a cast iron pan for when I cook sides like sliced potatoes, pepper and onions and such. I have a lodge skillet like pictured below but would like to find something that size without the the long Handle. What do you guys use? 
    That ain't no cast iron, at best, it looks like a carbon steel pan.

Google and Amazon could be your friends here, why don't you search for something like a cast iron pizza pan or dutch oven or just buy a cast iron fry pan in the size you want and use a hack saw to reduce the handle to a stub?

Lots of good advice above...
  • CamadoCeg
    Options
    Also, lodge has many short handle options. I use these three offen. If you look hard you can see my CGW spider and half moon stones. Love this set up! The half moon extended rack is a grill dome.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    I got a cast iron pizza pan (14 inch) from Amazon that fits beautifully in my Large BGE. Only a little over ½ inch deep, so as long as you're not cooking anything that requires higher sides it works great. I use it mainly for smashburgers.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    Agree with the Lodge 5 qt. Double Dutch.Three utensils in one. Deep pot, frying pan and dutch oven.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    There are a couple options. 

1) kamadoJoe sells a half moon CI griddle that fits in the D&C or on a cook surface. 
    2) cut the handle of the lodge seasoned steel pan in the pic. 
    3) buy CI pan, you can always cut the handle off. 
    4) paella pan. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I have used my DO a bunch in egg, my small skillet for cornbread but after looking on the Lodge site today I think I may add this to buy list- I have a POS grilling tray I have had for ever for veggies but this looks much better.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ^^^Yes, get this.  It's CS, nice char while roasting.
    I love mine.  Have gifted one too.
    Works great for veggies, and searing too.  Perfect for your Large egg.

I would leave your CS skillet handle intact.  Those long handles come in handy, and the length keeps them from getting too hot.  Not sure if you ever cook over a live fire.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."