Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold in Egg

Options
I use to live in Ohio and I never had this problem before. I now live in Florida and every time I use the egg i have to clean everything out because of mold.  I don't use it that much. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
Thanks Mark

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Open the bottom vent 
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Yep, you need airflow.  Open bottom vent, possibly put spacers between bottom and lid.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Use the egg more. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
     I live in Florida also and never experienced any mold in my egg.
     There's been times where I didn't use it for at least a month or two.
     I guess you could just do a high temp burn in the egg to burn the mold off right? 
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Interesting... :confounded: I too live in The Sunshine State & don't share this dilemma. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Prep for a Za session or anything higher than 500℉ or so. Let it stabilize and go for about a hour. This will get rid of the fuzzy stuff. Once you're finished cooking let it burn itself out. 
    Curious....how often are you using your egg?  Where and how is it stored when not in use?  Are you coastal or inland?  And lastly do you have a Smokeware top?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I travel extensively therefore I don't get to use my egg as often as I would like. I had a mold problem quite a few times. I use to shut the egg down directly after taking the meat off after a low and slow cook and I would get mold. But after a hot and fast I wouldn't get mold. So now after a L/S when I know I won't be able to cook on it for a week or more I bump it up to about 400 for about 30 mins to get some of the moisture out of the egg and I haven't had a problem with mold since. Maybe just lucky.
    Snellville, GA

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,972
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have never had mold in any of my eggs except when I loaned one out and found out that they squirted the inside of the egg with the hose before giving it back. Even the egg I use only 1-2 times a year never gets moldy, so I also am curious as to why this is happening to you.

A 550-600 degree burn will take care of it for you.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I'm in FL too.  If I go a couple weeks, I can get mold.  If my egg is out during a good rain, I can get mold too.  I believe the moisture is coming in from the gasket as my dome is a tad misaligned from left to right.  Just a tad though.  I have at it with my MAPP torch and let it hit temp and hang there much longer than usual before I cook on it.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
    You lost me when you said you were from Ohio. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Use it more. Keep both upper and lower vents open when cold.  And use it more.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I got the Smokeware caps specifically to be able to have more air flow when the Eggs are idle for a while, but I still get mold if I go for a few weeks without using them.  The idea of a high temp cook or a clean burn before they'll sit for a while makes all kinds of sense to me, but I haven't tried it, yet.  I live in NC, for what it's worth.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I tried leaving the vent open and it didn't solve my issue. Maybe because I keep it covered. But 30 mins at 400 or above has worked so far. Worth a shot if you aren't having luck with any other method. Nothing worse than needing to clean out mold with a hot fire before a L/S cook. Takes forever to cool the egg back down. 
    Snellville, GA

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Mine are all covered.  Live in GA.  If both top and bottom vents are open, I get no mold.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Mine sometimes get moldy when I go out of town.  As said above, I light em up and burn it off.  I think it helps to burn off any food on grates after a cook - don't shut down immediately.  
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL