Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Grid Stackers, Yay!!

Options
I finally stepped up to non-cludge grid stacking.

I have been eye-balling the grid stackers from smokeware for a while.  I finally got a new set from Smokeware.  They are fantastic.  I really like the attention to detail.  They even use 304SS instead of a lower grade.

I started my 1st cook tonight woth them.  chicken and veggies.  Being able to swing it out of the way to add veggies is sweet!  The XL is a versatile machine now :)

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Ok, these are top of my mod suggestion list.

The caps are super nice, but I think I would notch these above those.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Does it pivot out of the way?

sorry for the hijack @ozzie_isaac.   Somebody comparing apples to grapefruit.  Again my apologies. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Do you have a plate setter in the egg or are you direct in these pics?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2016
    Options

sorry for the hijack @ozzie_isaac.   Somebody comparing apples to grapefruit.  Again my apologies. 
    Yup, it pivots out of the way.  It is really handy.  The pivots pop off too and actually make nice  handles. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Do you have a plate setter in the egg or are you direct in these pics?
    I have a Woo2 with stone.  I have a 5qt lodge dutch oven under the chicken.
  • Mikee
    edited October 2016
    Options

Of course it pivots out the way. Anyone, well almost anyone, could see that. Works fantastic! That's the reason for double washers in the upper grate versus the single washers on the bottom.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Mikee said:

Of course it pivots out the way. Anyone, well almost anyone, could see that. Works fantastic! That's the reason for double washers in the upper grate versus the single washers on the bottom.
    Does it come with an ash basket to catch what is left of your wings ;)

I hope you know I'm chuckling as I type that.  I like your setup a lot.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Very nice rig Ozzie.   From the looks of the size of that chicken I'm guessing it will hold a good bit of weight.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

I have been eye-balling the grid stackers from smokeware for a while.  I finally got a new set from Smokeware.  They are fantastic.  I really like the attention to detail.  They even use 304SS instead of a lower grade.

I started my 1st cook tonight woth them.  chicken and veggies.  Being able to swing it out of the way to add veggies is sweet!  The XL is a versatile machine now :)

Did anyone else see this picture and figure Ozzie could have easily fit all of that food on the main level?  ;)

Can't tell if you've got a deflector plate in there or if you're cleverly using the pot to cast a shadow to the chicken on the second tier while you cook direct for the rest. 

Either way, looks great. Enjoy!
  • Mikee
    Options

Ozzie, thanks for the laugh. I thought the ABT's looked good but if they looked liked wings, I might be doing something wrong. The Egg in the picture is a mini. The upper grate is a SS, 8" fire grate. I got the mini a week or two before the 4th of July this year and decided to make ABT's at the 4th of July Picnic. I was able to get 24 of them in the mini using this setup. While it's not a high tech solution it does work and works great for the addition of a small grate. The only tool I need to remove and install it is the grid lifter. It easily removes the top nut and grid lifter is always on my table. For a large grate with heavier food items, it may lean down. For under $2 it has served its purpose. I also used it for making a full rack of ribs on the mini. No doubt you'll enjoy your new toy.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Nice addition to the BGE, congrats!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Did anyone else see this picture and figure Ozzie could have easily fit all of that food on the main level?  ;)

Can't tell if you've got a deflector plate in there or if you're cleverly using the pot to cast a shadow to the chicken on the second tier while you cook direct for the rest. 

Either way, looks great. Enjoy!
    You are right.  could have definitely it on one level, but I cook veggies in the DO and let the chicken fat drip in.  Get killer flavored veggies and crisp chicken.  One of my favorites :)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Mikee said:

Ozzie, thanks for the laugh. I thought the ABT's looked good but if they looked liked wings, I might be doing something wrong. The Egg in the picture is a mini. The upper grate is a SS, 8" fire grate. I got the mini a week or two before the 4th of July this year and decided to make ABT's at the 4th of July Picnic. I was able to get 24 of them in the mini using this setup. While it's not a high tech solution it does work and works great for the addition of a small grate. The only tool I need to remove and install it is the grid lifter. It easily removes the top nut and grid lifter is always on my table. For a large grate with heavier food items, it may lean down. For under $2 it has served its purpose. I also used it for making a full rack of ribs on the mini. No doubt you'll enjoy your new toy.

The ABTS looked awesome.  I was reading fast and confused you with @Mickey .... he took a "nap" while cooking wings and they literally turned to ash :)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That upper grid seems to hold up well under the weight of the chicken. I bought the ones from a group buy a while back and never used them because of how much they sagged when you put stuff on the top grid. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2016
    Options
    caliking said:
    That upper grid seems to hold up well under the weight of the chicken. I bought the ones from a group buy a while back and never used them because of how much they sagged when you put stuff on the top grid. 
    The new stacker has a wide base.  I got a 7lb chicken as a "test" case.  It held up real well.  The thick 16" grid it came with is very solid.  Almost  no sag and easy spinning.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great photos of your cook.
    Looking forward to trying a 18" upper grate on my XL
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Mikee said:

I would like to add this to my Mini. Where did you get the 8" fire grate? It looks like a Hi-Que but they don't show any 8" grates for any of the kamado grills. The closest I see on their website is 7.5" for Kamado Joe Jr. I know that's pretty close but an extra 1/2 inch makes a pretty big difference in overall grid space. Thanks in advance.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Sure looks like the Ceramic Grill Works "Swingrack"...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Photo Egg
    edited October 2016
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Yes, the Smokeware Grate Stacker swings. That is the only similarity. The Grill Works system uses "All" proprietary parts... The Smokeware Grate Stacker can be used on most any brand of standard cooking grates. It's NOT built into the cooking grates, it attaches to the cooking grates.

http://ceramicgrillworks.com/product/large-2-tier-adjustable-swing-rack-system/

The 18" system for for the large BGE would cost $185.00 plus shipping with Grill Works.

The Smokeware Grate Stackes uses the stock BGE 18" cooking grate as the lower. Add the Stacker including the stainless upper grate and it costs only $65.00 ($40 for just the bracket) with much cheaper shipping.

http://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/stacker-and-16-grill-grate-combo

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    RedSkip said:
    Yes, the Smokeware Grate Stacker swings. That is the only similarity. The Grill Works system uses "All" proprietary parts... The Smokeware Grate Stacker can be used on most any brand of standard cooking grates. It's NOT built into the cooking grates, it attaches to the cooking grates.

http://ceramicgrillworks.com/product/large-2-tier-adjustable-swing-rack-system/

The 18" system for for the large BGE would cost $185.00 plus shipping with Grill Works.

The Smokeware Grate Stackes uses the stock BGE 18" cooking grate as the lower. Add the Stacker including the stainless upper grate and it costs only $65.00 ($40 for just the bracket) with much cheaper shipping.

Seems like a really good deal. Just went to Smokeware's website and checked it out. Looks to be very well-made too. Nice job Smokeware.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Mikee said:

I might go ahead and add another bolt to the other side to act as a brace/leg once the grate is brought back to center IF it was carrying a large load..... 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Mikee said:

Who's make is the 8" grid? I love the setup and would like to do this on my mini max
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Mikee said:

Who's make is the 8" grid? I love the setup and would like to do this on my mini max
    Here is a 7 1/2"
    http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-High-Heat-Charcoal-Fire-Grate-Upgrade-for-Kamado-Joe-Junior-75-dia_p_38.html
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mikee
    Options

I went out to measure it. It's a 9" grate on the outside diameter. It's a stainless steel, fire grate for a large. My daughter gave it to me as a gift a few years ago thinking I had the large; only had a small. Finally put it to use after getting the mini; using it as an upper grate. It is a High-Que grate. http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-High-Heat-Charcoal-Fire-Grate-Upgrade-for-Large-MiniMax-Big-Green-Egg-Grill--9-dia_p_19.html

The Smokeware setup Ozzie posted seems like a decent deal. It includes a big cooking grate and the attachment that allows it to swivel. Smokeware did a great job with that package. Those with something smaller than the large are left out in the dark. I really like the Mini as it is very portable. With an upper grate I can cook almost twice the amount of smaller items.

• Mikee
    Options
    Mikee said:

I might go ahead and add another bolt to the other side to act as a brace/leg once the grate is brought back to center IF it was carrying a large load..... 

Sounds like a great idea. Rotate the grate and then let the opposite side of where the swivel is plop down on another bolt. That would keep the upper grate level. Keep in mind though, that if you have a heavy item on the upper grate you can not swing the upper grate out very far as it will flip both grate over. The heavier the item on the upper grate the more you would have to move the pivot towards the center. The closer to the center the less it swings away.
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    Wish this was available when I bough my woo extender and sliding grid
  • 82grillmaster
    Options
    Been saving for my next BGE accessory and came across this post. Needless to say Smokeware has a new order in their queu and I finally ordered the cap at the same time. Very excited as I've tried to do a diy swing grate a couple of times and never really happy with my product.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

I don't disagree, just pointing out the obvious.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2016
    Options
    nth78 said:
    Wish this was available when I bough my woo extender and sliding grid
    I had been on the fence, wanting something better than balancing fire bricks.  This defintely hit the mark for me.