Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going Caveman Tonight.

Options
Well, not with a steak. My wife is away and I'm playing. Charro beans cooked over coals, rotisserie chicken (poor boy style), and pumpkin cooked on coals. It may be a disaster - we'll see. 

Stay tuned...
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I can't wait to see how this one turns out!!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :clap: Yes!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Options
    That's awesome! Looks like a fun way to cook. Enjoy!
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Pumpkin going on.

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This is amazing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Pumpkin going on.

Did you put anything inside the pumpkin or just clean it out? Looks interesting...
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Effing brilliant man!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Getting dark. Pics will suck. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    That is awesome! I think you won the Saturday night cook. Hell, the weekend cook. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Coming along. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Interesting technique.  Waiting anxiously for the final pics.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    It turned out well. The pumpkin was excellent. 

The beans and pumpkin were excellent. I'm not sure the chicken was worth the trouble. The chicken cooked about 2 1/2 hours before the breast reached 160 degrees. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Tblack
    Tblack Posts: 55
    Options
    Awesome
    LBGE 
    Pike Road,Al

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    Fantastic cook!
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I feel like I just watch someone cook from the midevil times and I am living in a castle. 

Absolutely awesome. I don't think I will ever post a pic of my cooks ever again after that!!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    What an amazing post.... Always love your unusual cooks !!!! Big like...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @johnmitchell Thanks. This was a bit of a trial run. I want to cook a leg of lamb hanging the way I cooked the chicken. I think if I had cooked the pumpkin in the egg it would have been easier - but part of this cook was playing with fire and trying new things. I've done beans this way often enough now that they aren't a problem. Anyway it was a fun cook and gave me plenty of time to enjoy some adult beverages. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    So cool man!  
    VA Beach
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looks like fun!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I would love the details of that fire pit you used. Looks like concrete blocks on a metal frame?
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Fantastic brother Sci!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I would love the details of that fire pit you used. Looks like concrete blocks on a metal frame?
    It's a Camp Chef dutch oven table. I just added some 1/2 fire bricks to protect the table and hold some heat. https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Dutch-Oven-Table/dp/B000OEJM1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477237837&sr=8-1&keywords=Dutch+oven+table
    It has ended up working well. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Good looking cook....nice to have some spare time.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Wow, really cool. Looks like everything turned out great.
    Stillwater, MN