Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone use sorghum syrup in homemade BBQ sauce?

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I have a base recipe that's comprised of:

Chopped onion sautéed in a stick of butter than add
    ketchup
    vinegar/ or apple cider vinegar 
    Little mustard
    Worcestershire
    brown sugar
    paprika
    pepper
    garlic powder 
    cayenne 
    honey

And a few other things.. was thinking about throwing the sorghum in the mix any thoughts?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Absolutely!!  I use it in baked beans and chili too.  It's not nearly as sweet as molasses, adds a root beer taste.  I've use root beer in things as well, but sorghum eliminates the need to boil off the extra water to thicken it back up.  
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Wonderful in a pot of beans too
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Yes. It's not terribly different than Grandma's Unsulphured Molasses (not quite as sweet though) IMHO. I have a jar of Amish Sorghum. It's a bit thicker and has a robust flavor that we like it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I was raised on country syrup (as we called it) condensed milk and biscuits mixed together. Was a great dessert. See no reason why it would be nothing less than fantastic in BBQ sauce.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I put a half cup in my last batch and I'm digging it :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Being from Kentucky, Sorghum is in my DNA. Use it in brine for butts, BBQ sauce, beans, chili, soups, fajitas, you name it, it will work.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I was raised on country syrup (as we called it) condensed milk and biscuits mixed together. Was a great dessert. See no reason why it would be nothing less than fantastic in BBQ sauce.

Sounds good!  Somebody else can probably chime in on what this is--creamy peanut butter, marshmallow fluff, and corn syrup mixed together served over biscuits.  I'm trying to remember where I had it......Amish country?......south-central Indiana maybe?