Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions on Rutland gasket install

Options
I see that it's generally recommended to install the Rutland on the base, instead of the just the dome.  But what about installing it on both?  Is that not recommended?  Should I leave my current gasket on the dome or remove it altogether and not replace it with anything?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    When properly applied then the Rutland becomes both wider and thicker so only the base is needed. In fact if you were to add one or even an OE gasket on the dome it will throw the planes of your dome and base off creating a gap. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You can ask RRP I don't think  there is any reason to install both. I removed (most of)  my top one. 

ETA: RRP alreadyed answer, nice 

• kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    edited October 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    When properly applied then the Rutland becomes both wider and thicker so only the base is needed. In fact if you were to add one or even an OE gasket on the dome it will throw the planes of your dome and base off creating a gap. 
    I've seen the naked wiz install instructions, but just wondering if yours are any different. Would it be possible to get a copy of your directions?

edit: just saw naked wiz actually credited you with the instructions he has on his site.