Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tax Deductions For Eggfest Participation

Options
Most of us who Cook at Eggfests do so because it's just a lot of fun to hang out with our Egghead Friends while introducing the Big Green Egg to people we've never met. 

But gone are the days when an Eggfest may generate less than 100 attendees, and be held only a few miles away at a local dealer's parking lot. Nowadays, the growing popularity of the Egg routinely results in hundreds and sometimes thousands of attendees, at Big Green Egg related events all over the country. 

It is virtually impossible to attend all of the Eggfests, but many of us try to cook at multiple Eggfests throughout the traditional Eggfest Season, which pretty much lasts all year in one form or another. 

Meanwhile, Eggfests have evolved from being just a small, local gathering of a few Eggheads to promote the Egg and have some relaxed fun, into funding drives for a wide range of projects, all of which are surely worthy causes to the community or the institutions receiving the funds. 

And instead of Cooks spending maybe $100 out-of-pocket for items to cook and serve in the past, today it is not unusual to spend $1,000 for the food alone, not to mention the expenses for travel, lodging, and necessary equipment. And even that does not take into account the amount of personal time devoted to preparing, cooking and serving food at these events. 

Needless to say, since we are not on the Big Green Egg payroll or reimbursed for our expenses, it behooves us Cooks to take advantage of any tax credits that are available to us as volunteers. 

I did some research and found that the IRS does have provisions in the Tax Code for most of us to take advantage of so long as certain conditions are met. The first condition is that you can only claim such expenses if you itemize your deductions. So some of us may not be able to file no matter how much we spend out of pocket. 

I searched for a summarized version of the IRS's definition of 'qualified deductions. This one seems to do a good job of explaining it well enough for you to realize the possible tax benefits of itemizing and claiming your Eggfest expenses. This alone could result in significant tax credits. 

I am also asking anyone with expertise in this subject to step forward and explain the law further so that we may all understand it better. 

We all love our Eggs, and enjoy sharing our enthusiasm with others, but our personal budgets are taking a beating and need some form of relief. This may be one way to get that relief. 

Here's the link: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/remind-nonprofit-volunteers-tax-deductions-29659.html 

I will look forward to hearing your comments. 

Spring "Death And Taxes Are Absolutes For Us All" Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Very interesting.  Will send this link to our accountant for his opinion.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I'm kinda surprised to hear that egg fest cooks aren't provided / reimbursed for the food they cook.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    No lawyer here but I think the one potential deal breaker is the following:
    • Your organization must be a qualified, IRS-recognized charity.   
    This would likely preclude many of the fest sponsors but who knows.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    edited October 2016
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    No lawyer here but I think the one potential deal breaker is the following:
    • Your organization must be a qualified, IRS-recognized charity.   
    This would likely preclude many of the fest sponsors but who knows.  

Agreed.

I would be very surprised that expenses for an Eggfest (unless it is specifically set up as a 501c3 or the like) would be a deductible tax expense.

Every Eggfest I have ever seen/attended were always a commercial enterprise usually run/sponsored by an Egghead dealer meant primarily to sell/advertise  products/accessories.

Some may donate some proceeds to a charity but that doesn't necessarily make the event a non-profit charity.

On the other hand, nothing is illegal until you get caught. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    HeavyG said:

On the other hand, nothing is illegal until you get caught. :)
    And depending on who you are, getting caught doesn't matter anymore. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    if you have a business that is food-related, it could fall under a publicity/advertising expense.

but i don't think a regular joe taxpayer can deduct expenses for how he/she decides to spend their leisure time. 

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    The IRS frowns on money losing hobby businesses. Claim it as a charitable contribution to a charity and it may fly.
    Cooking on the coast