We made this to go with the reverse seared rib eye steaks
second cook (pictured below), worked really well, a delicious side in its own right but not overwhelming the awesome taste of the steak. Full recipe with variations is on my blog, reproduced below (although it may change as I enhance it). https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2016/10/21/smokey-bourbon-baked-beans/
- 1 large onion
- 25g butter
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp chipotle paste
- 1 tsp BBQ sauce
- 250g tinned pinto beans*
- 350g tinned cannellini beans*
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 50ml white wine vinegar
- 4 rashers smokey bacon
- Up to 50 ml smokey bourbon
- 300 ml cold water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black and red pepper
- 1 Romano pepper
* - dry weight. Tins will contain water so have a higher weight, look for the dry weight number.Method
- Drain the pinto and cannellini beans and wash them gently under tap.
- Finely dice the white onion and Romano pepper.
- On a hob, melt butter into the casserole dish and fry diced onion and pepper until soft.
- Add paprika, pinto and cannellini beans to the casserole dish and stir.
- Add bay leaves, water and tomatoes to the casserole dish and stir.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer uncovered for 30 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Cut the bacon into thin strips.
- Add BBQ sauce, chipotle paste and bacon strips to the casserole dish and stir.
- Simmer uncovered for 90 minutes to reduce.
- Add salt, pepper, white wine vinegar and a slug of bourbon, stir and taste. Add more bourbon if necessary.
- Simmer for up to 10 minutes whilst preparing the main meal.
Large BGE and MMX, both with platesetter and cast iron grid. Superpeel for pizza, iDevice for temperature.
Cooking on the large in deepest, darkest England since Oct 2015. MMX added to the family Mar 2016.
My food blog ... BGE and other stuff http://www.thecooksdigest.com