Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bao! Kind of...

Options
Several years ago @caliking inspired me to make Bao.  It took a while for me to finally pull the trigger on a bamboo steamer, but I reluctantly parted with $20 at Sur La Table and brought one home.  

I used the the dough recipe from this website: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/steamed-bao-buns, and used leftover pork butt as the base. For a Chinese BBQ sauce I combined hoisin, ketchup, ground sugar and fresh minced ginger.

As as you can clearly see, the twenty YouTube videos I watched on how to wrap bao were of zero help.  They don't look the best, but they tasted great and got high praise from the missus.  

I did two batches in the steamer and learned a lesson in water evaporation.  All of the water boiled away during the second batch and I burnt the bottom of the steamer.  Hopefully it's salvageable.  

It was definitely worth the attempt.  We already have several more ideas on what to fill the dumplings with next time.  Here's the finished product (moved from the paper plate):

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    The steamer will survive.  Looks good.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    The steamer will survive.  Looks good.
    +1 on both counts. Those make a great quick breakfast :)

how did you like the bao texture and taste? I have only tried 2 dough recipes, so I'll bookmark this for future reference. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I don't know what Bao is, but it looks like a winner that me. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    @caliking. The recipe was quick and relatively easy, but I think different recipes that require the dough to proof overnight would work better.  This still had a lot of elasticity.  It tasted good and for my first time out, I was pleased.  And you were right.  They are excellent for breakfast!  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE