Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The egg just elevates the basics so well.

Been crushed at work but spent some time getting a few things cooked to have around. Chicken breasts for salads, steak for awesomes, and smash burger for kids. The egg really makes just the standard humble chicken breast awesome. Smokey goodness  I use Oakridge Rib Dominator rub on the chicken. One steak with Montreal one with the Oakridge coffee steak rub. 
Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

Comments

• You cook steaks completely in the CI skillet?
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    @jonnymack, the Egg does indeed elevate the art.  =)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    You cook steaks completely in the CI skillet?
    Yes especially these ones which were pretty thin. They don't take long. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I agree with you @jonnymack. There are lots of ways to apply heat to meat and some yield better flavor than others from my experience. I would like to have an offset smoker one day but I will need some serious time to play at that point.

My buddy has a Traeger and it's pretty slick and easy for smoking. Grilling is a bit glorified on that cooker in my opinion. My buddy lives about 9 hours away and I just went to see him this past week on a work trip. Last time I was there, I asked if I could cook some for them. I made ribeyes and pork chops, as well as a spatchcock chicken on his Traeger. (I had never cooked on one before but had eaten off one). There are some elements that I like about the cooker. It has plenty of airflow and makes nice crispy skin on a spatchcock chicken. The smoke flavor is Ok but I like having more control over it as to when I add the wood chunks or chips. The downfall for me is that even at its highest temp, you don't get any kind of texture to the outside of a steak or burger.

A couple of days ago, I took my Mini on the road with me and made some filet mignon for him and his lady. I didn't take the mini to prove a point, but I wanted a little bit of direct heat for a reverse sear and I knew I had no way to do it other than the egg. He and his lady both said they were top 2 or 3 the best steaks they had ever had and that there was clearly a flavor difference from the Traeger. 

I recently bought a Weber Performer just to play around on. I have never owned a charcoal grill other than the egg. I quickly discovered that I have a lot to learn about fire management with the Weber. I'm still having fun though and have gotten decent results - my learning has taken much more time than what it did on the egg. 

Just my opinion and experience. I'm sure others will have more to offer.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    My Green Mountain Grill(basically a Traeger) did nothing but piss me off when I first got it.  Couldn't get a good sear on anything. Everything took longer.  Based on temp probes, the hottest I could ever get it was 450 even though it claims to be able to get to 500.  The Egg has blown away the GMG and then some.  the versatility is so much more with everything you want to do.

The one thing I was thinking about trying but haven't yet, is putting pellets in with the lump on the egg to produce smoke.  Has anyone ever tried this?  If so, how much would you use?  I am doing ribs tomorrow, and I have some Apple/Cherry pellets from the GMG that I was thinking about using instead of the Apple Chunks I have for the Egg.  Wise or should l I just stick with the chunks?
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California