Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Orleans BBQ Shrimp and Leidenheimer French Bread

Options
In ten days it will be one year since I got a sudden craving for a real New Orleans PoBoy, the kind made with Leidenheimer French Bread, which as far as I knew, New Orleans was the only place the bread was available. 

Well, I certainly wasn't going to drive to New Orleans to get some so I decided to make my own Leidenheimer French Bread. And wouldn't you know it, I found a recipe for it. 

Here's the link to the video of that culinary adventure. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FglbieAqf6U 

Wouldn't you know it, about 3:00 am this morning I woke up craving some Leidenheimer French Bread again. I took to thinking about it so much that I just got up and made some. Just like before but better. 

Then my Sweetie said how's about some BBQ Shrimp to go with that bread? Read'n my mind! She found a package of Cousin Boudreaux's BBQ Shrimp stuff and some shrimps. So about the time the first loaves of bread came off the Egg to cool, it was time to put the BBQ shrimp on. Nex thing you know, we're eat'n BBQ shrimp and sop'n up the butter-juice with my version of Leidenheimer French Bread. 

Here's some pictures of today's cook. 

Ax me if it was gud. Of course it was gud. 

And it sho nuff answered my craving. 

Spring "Now Ax Me If I'm Full. Sho I'm full..." Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Oh heck yeah. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Oh Lordy, that looks mighty fine!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Your right it is the bread that makes a good po boy. Looks good. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    It doesn't get any better than that.  Paul Prudhomme's recipe in Lousiana Cooking is spectacular
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Awesome cook. Great Bread and the po boy is awesome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Away from my laptop.....but deffinatelly Murry worthy. When I get home....beautiful.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bookmarked. Have loved BBQ shrimp when I've had in NOLA. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Spring Chicken
    While the meal certainly stands on its own merits, shrimp along with oysters automaticity earns:

Great job brother Chicken.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    @Spring Chicken

What is the name of the device you are using for indirect?  Looks interesting.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Pascal's Manale shrimp.    Yumm
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    dweebs0r said:
    @Spring Chicken

What is the name of the device you are using for indirect?  Looks interesting.
    It's an adjustable rig from the Ceramic Grill Store.  Here's the link:

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/shop-large-adjustable-rig-for-large-big-green-egg

It's another good thing to have in your accessory cabinet.

Spring "We All Look And Cook Better With Good Accessories" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Mighty fine!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Awesome meal!
    Dyersburg, TN
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Looks fantastic.  Thanks for sharing that one.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    @Spring Chicken One of my favorite dishes! We usually make it a couple times a month, serve it over cheese grits and done! Never seen cousin Boudreaux, is it a package seasoning?? Oh and the bread looks awesome!
    LBGE
    AL
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    @Spring Chicken One of my favorite dishes! We usually make it a couple times a month, serve it over cheese grits and done! Never seen cousin Boudreaux, is it a package seasoning?? Oh and the bread looks awesome!
    Thanks.  It's definitely a favorite, but we have a lot of favorites around here. Half of 'em are South Louisiana dishes (not all food in South Louisiana is Cajun), and half are North Louisiana dishes (not all food in Louisiana is Cajun, Creole or on the half shell), and the other half is Texas (not all Texas food is cowboy style, BBQ'd, taco'd, pot-cooked, smoked, shot-fresh, or imported from Louisiana).  We have a lot to chose from and a lot to compare to if'n we want to cook it ourselves.

But one thing we find about those South Louisiana entrepreneurs who concoct these bags of seasons you just add something to, they're pretty darn good. Some gooder'n the others, of course, but they're still good enough to keep around to be able to whip up a surprisingly good meal in no time a'tall.  

Cousin Boudreaux's is one of them, and so far, all of his products make the cut.  We ain't run across one yet that wasn't worth the effort.  So with that said, here's the link to their site.

https://cousin-boudreauxs.myshopify.com/

Or if you are anywhere close to New Orleans, check out Rouses' Markets.  They have all of 'em and a lot more.

As for the bread.  I just bought some more flower to try again.  This time I'm not transferring the risen bread to the baking stone.  No matter how hard you try, the rise falls and the bread spreads out kinda flat.  It still tastes good but it's lost its fluff.  Poboy bread needs some fluff.

I'll be taking pictures.

Spring "Add These To A Bag 'a That And Call Me When It's Ready" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    @Spring Chicken Thanks for the info, I will definitely check out his stuff! We've always went the homemade route even down to the creole seasoning, but I might pick up some cousin boudreaux's to use when I'm in a pinch!
    LBGE
    AL