Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokin' a chicken - first time

Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I'm planning on smoking a chicken for the first time today. Shooting for a 6-8 pounder. I've got a few questions:

hickory, applewood, mesquite or a combo?

250-275 temp right?

spatchcocked or not?

indirect or direct?

And roughly about how long does a bird of this size take to smoke?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389

^^^^^^This is perfect.  You can go indirect, but it just takes longer  and I have not really seen much of a benefit to the extra time myself.  Very easy cook, you will have no issue pulling  this one off.

If you don't have time to leave in fridge overnight to dry out skin (this is what you are doing when this is done to achieve a crispier skin), and your wife will not kill you, grab a hair dryer and hair dry your chicken on low for  about 10 minutes and it will dry out the skin some to get you the crispiness we all desire.

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Any recommendations on temp/time if you don't have a way to raise the grid?
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Its a more complex question than you might think.

Usually, poultry flavor is more affected by smoke flavors than other meats. Fruitwoods, or some nut woods like pecan are considered best. Hickory, not really. Mesquite, nope.

250 - 275, sure that will work. But when cooking poultry, there's not much need to break down the connective tissues like in some pork and beef, or render out fat among the muscle. Higher temps and quicker times work about as well. In part, because the bird gains more smoke flavor, not as much need to spend hours in the smoke.

Spatch'd is almost always done in the 350 - 450 range.Even as high as 475. Not really a smoking method.

Referring to spatched, as far as I know, its always done direct, raised. It is a fast, hot and crisping method.

Indirect is baking, pretty much. Perfectly fine, but will take longer, and the bird may need to be basted. At 275, a whole bird of the weight you mention, I'd expect 2 - 3 hours, prob'ly more.
  • Any and all

spatchcock direct or inditect

whole, indirect or rotisserie direct

250 all the way to 400

if roasting, maybe 325 max

chicken is done when the joints wiggle

that takes longer at low temps or roasting (which is indirect) and less time at higher temps or direct

mix and match

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Mickey said:
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Killer! I've got a 7.8 # bird I've spatched, rubbed with corn starch and spices, should I raise at the felt or woo2 d-ring height?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    The hardest part is keeping the chicken lit. Make sure you hold the smoke I when you inhale as long as possible.