Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little Griddle Maiden Voyage: Shrimp Fried Rice

I've been frustrated with my little cast iron Griddle and saw one of these at Eggtoberfest. Yadayada Amazon Prime and here we are. 

I kinda guesstimated the recipe but it smells like the beginning of a Benihana experience so the Egg is to temp and Here. We. Go. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• First shrimp 1 min flip 1 min and pull. Then garlic and onions until translucent. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Looks great, all you need now is the fireman who pees on the steaming volcano!  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Sorry the wifi was not having outside tonight. 

Ok next stir in the garlic/onion with the cooked rice and toss on the frozen veggies. Add soy, butter and sesame oil. 

Stir em up, toss on the egg, stir it all up, toss the shrimp back on (sorry no shrimp in the hat tonight) and....dinner. 

I probably would would have kicked the heat a little higher and left the shrimp on longer but lessons learned. 

South of Nashville, TN

• VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Dude, this looks awesome!! Did you fully cook the rice prior to the griddle?  What temp did you have it at?
    VA Beach
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    That looks great.  It's a family favorite at my house, and it's just about the easiest thing to throw together
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited October 2016
    @VB_egger I cooked the rice and then tossed it in the fridge. Edit: I tried to keep it around 350 but it dropped to about 275. I kept the lid open most of the time but the guy at the festival told me it covers so much surface area you really just have to focus on the bottom vent. 

@Bshults1 this was concerningly easy. I figured there was going to be a learning curve. Full disclosure, it's a lot easier cooking on this than a standard cast iron flat. 

South of Nashville, TN

• That looks great. Now I'm hungry again, so thanks for that (-:
    Stillwater, MN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2016
    Looks like you nailed it - nice job!  I am overdue for some fried rice on the Blackstone. 

You mentioned you might have cooked the shrimp longer.  Just my $.02, but probably just need to give it a little more time to preheat next time if you want more color.  You can also throw on some butter and/or oil to add some color. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Looks like you nailed it - nice job!  I am overdue for some fried rice on the Blackstone. 

You mentioned you might have cooked the shrimp longer.  Just my $.02, but probably just need to give it a little more time to preheat next time if you want more color.  You can also throw on some butter and/or oil to add some color. 
    I actually used both, but the rice would have been a little crispier if I had kicked the heat. I think I'll try grapeseed oil next time. 

I kind of intentionally undercooked the shrimp. My wife wanted leftovers for her and my kid for the weekend...I figured the reheat in the pan would finish it off for the majority of it. 

South of Nashville, TN

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Awesome! Love some fried rice.
    LBGE
    AL