Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife Sharpner

Options

I did a search, and the only thread I found was from 2010, so I wanted to see if there were any recommendations for a knife sharpner.  I bought a cheap A$$ one at Target that is really not doing anything IMHO.  I need simple, and fairly fast.  I don't want sharpening a knife to be another hobby.  My days are running out of time in them!

Oh...don't really want to spend a fortune either, but want to buy quality.  If this goes like everything else I have looked into on this forum, I bet I have it ordered by the end of the day!  LOL

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• morrobayrich
    Options
    A while back Cooks Illustrated rated both electric and manual sharpeners.  For manual sharpeners they said that the AcuSharp model was almost as good as their $200 electric model.

https://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-ACCU-001C-001-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00004VWKQ?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIKBZ7IH7LXTW3ARA&&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00004VWKQ&tag=wwwbookcompar-20&ascsubtag=57fff63a48308f31a862a745

I have used the AcuSharp model for years and am very pleased with it and you can sharpen a knife in half a minute.  I'm sure the purists will scoff at this suggestion but it works, it is easy to use and it is quick.

Morro Bay, CA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    A while back Cooks Illustrated rated both electric and manual sharpeners.  For manual sharpeners they said that the AcuSharp model was almost as good as their $200 electric model.

https://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-ACCU-001C-001-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00004VWKQ?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIKBZ7IH7LXTW3ARA&&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00004VWKQ&tag=wwwbookcompar-20&ascsubtag=57fff63a48308f31a862a745

I have used the AcuSharp model for years and am very pleased with it and you can sharpen a knife in half a minute.  I'm sure the purists will scoff at this suggestion but it works, it is easy to use and it is quick.

I have a few of these and they are great way to touch up a knife...and the price fantastic.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited October 2016
    Options
    search forum for 'work sharp ken onion', seems popular here

I have the non KO version, quite pleased with it.
    canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    This thread is from earlier this year - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1191064/knife-sharpeners/p1
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    search forum for 'work sharp ken onion', seems popular here

I have the non KO version, quite pleased with it.
    I'll second this

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    I like my Spyderco Sharpmaker.  Easy to use and fixes up edges pretty fast.
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The king 1000/6000 stone is $22 on amazon. With a little practice hand sharpening is fast and works well.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I use a Worksharp Ken Onion edition for sharpening.  And a F.**** Rapid Steel for regular honing.  Awesome combo. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I got a Wusthof knife sharpener I think as a freebie when I bought some expensive knives, and it doesn't look like much, but it does a pretty good job.  A son-in-law who trained at the Culinary Institute of America was using my knives and said spontaneously that my knives were REALLY sharp, which I thought was a pretty good recommendation.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Do you have a local knife shop? I get mine done there for 2 bucks per knife. I can't justify buying one.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Do you have a local knife shop? I get mine done there for 2 bucks per knife. I can't justify buying one.
    I'm with you Dylan. Wish I had one near my current home though.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I hate getting propane, now I have to get my knives sharpened too?  Actually, I have no idea if I have anyone in town that sharpens knives. When you do that, how often do you have them done usually?

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I hate getting propane, now I have to get my knives sharpened too?  Actually, I have no idea if I have anyone in town that sharpens knives. When you do that, how often do you have them done usually?
    Annually. Between sharpening, all you should need is a honing rod to clean up the burs.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    You can go to William Sonoma and they will sharpen them for you. The first one if free then $5 per knife after that. After that get a steel and just touch up.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Many sharpeners out there to fit.  The pricier options make sharpening different blades easier such as rounded skinners, clips, drops, tantos, thicker cleavers, serrated, etc etc etc.  

My brother just bought an entry Tormek for $400.  It will sharpen just about anything.  I've had an Edge Pro Apex with Chosera stones from chefsknivestogo.com
    Been really happy using that setup.

But in all honesty, we are knife nuts.  And there is pride, in putting a wicked sharp mirror edge on anything, taking a knife to the next level of performance.  

Friends and family that use my knives while visiting, whether home or in the mobile home, notice the differences immediately.  =)

For what you've shared, I think the Chef's Choice is a solid, user friendly option that will get you up and running, covering the bases, without breaking the bank.
    https://youtu.be/x2natRFyRVE

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004S1B8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1476413935&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=chefs+choice+sharpener&dpPl=1&dpID=41zlviJ9yML&ref=plSrch
    Have seen them at BBB, could use a coupon for a discount.

Stones are the best bang for the buck, but have more of a learning curve.  

Sharpening places are getting better as hybrids are becoming more popular, but it depends on steel, angle.   For the more acute angled Japanese stuff, I would much rather do it myself.  My guy Brian, takes good care of me on the Hobart knives, Lawnmower blade, scissors, and axes.  I'd maybe let him sharpen my beater Wusthoff.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I have a Worksharp. That thing will sharpen a blade in a hurry. It will also ruin a blade in a hurry. As long as you use that honing rod regularly, knives will hold a good edge for a while. For my hunting knives, I always use a whet stone. Hard to beat a stone when getting it really sharp with a perfect edge.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    @tikigriller

You need to know what the bevel angle on the edge is, or could be, before you get a sharpener. The more common European style blades will take and hold bevels between 20 and 24 degrees per side. Fusion/Japanese will be between 17 - 15.

Its a matter of the steel. Top end blades, usually made in Japan, require either long practice w. stones, or a kit costing several hundred dollars, or sometimes shipping to a pro service. But they will hold edges as low as 8 degrees per side.

W, honing and stropping, and not hacking into bones, good blades in home use should not need a sharpening more than 1 time a year.

I understand that some contemporary electric systems are adjustable, and can easily be used without damaging the blades .Some older models would tear out too much steel w. proper use, and/or keep a steady angle. W. careless use, they would eat up a good blade in a few years. If you are using standard food service knives, they are typically inexpensive enough that it isn't much of a problem if they need replacing.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    gdenby said:
    @tikigriller

You need to know what the bevel angle on the edge is, or could be, before you get a sharpener. The more common European style blades will take and hold bevels between 20 and 24 degrees per side. Fusion/Japanese will be between 17 - 15.

Its a matter of the steel. Top end blades, usually made in Japan, require either long practice w. stones, or a kit costing several hundred dollars, or sometimes shipping to a pro service. But they will hold edges as low as 8 degrees per side.

W, honing and stropping, and not hacking into bones, good blades in home use should not need a sharpening more than 1 time a year.

I understand that some contemporary electric systems are adjustable, and can easily be used without damaging the blades .Some older models would tear out too much steel w. proper use, and/or keep a steady angle. W. careless use, they would eat up a good blade in a few years. If you are using standard food service knives, they are typically inexpensive enough that it isn't much of a problem if they need replacing.
    This. My local shop will put 10 degree bevels on my Japanese blades. To do that myself will require a large investment of time learning on stones or spending hundreds on a sharpening system. Maybe in the future, but it makes no sense right now.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    never understood why some can not use a stone, i was 4 or 5 when taught =)  have had most of the stones over the years arkansas, japanese whetstones, the king 1000/6000, belgian blues, coticule, etc. the fastest and best for me has been a DMT DiaSharp D12.  1200 grit is plenty for a kitchen knife, that diamond stone is fast, stays flat, takes on the hardest japanese knife with ease.  if i want to cut hanging hairs, its the coticule with coticule slurry, then the bluestone with bluestone slurry, finished up with the coticule with water only, then honed with newspaper, cow leather strop then horsehide=)  i only do that once every few years with my razor

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    never understood why some can not use a stone, i was 4 or 5 when taught =)  have had most of the stones over the years arkansas, japanese whetstones, the king 1000/6000, belgian blues, coticule, etc. the fastest and best for me has been a DMT DiaSharp D12.  1200 grit is plenty for a kitchen knife, that diamond stone is fast, stays flat, takes on the hardest japanese knife with ease.  if i want to cut hanging hairs, its the coticule with coticule slurry, then the bluestone with bluestone slurry, finished up with the coticule with water only, then honed with newspaper, cow leather strop then horsehide=)  i only do that once every few years with my razor

Agree the stones are really easy to use and I actually enjoy sharpening my knives. I do the 1000/6000 king stone then a loaded strop at 30000 then 60000 grit then a bovine leather strop. I have been eyeing a shapton glass 10000 stone since no water is required it would be perfect for honing but the flattener is 3 times the price of the stone and the stone isn't cheap. 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Stone/strop/honing steel. Shun's & Wustof's. I take pride in a sharp blade.. Family brings their knives to me when they travel so I can sharpen for them. That may be a small thing but I'll take it as a complement. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• gdenby
    Options
    This. My local shop will put 10 degree bevels on my Japanese blades. To do that myself will require a large investment of time learning on stones or spending hundreds on a sharpening system. Maybe in the future, but it makes no sense right now.
    There is only 1 dedicated knife sharpener where I live, and from what he sells, I am dubious about having my best knives done by him. When I started buying better blades, I also bought an Apex Edge Pro set. They cost more now than previously, but there are many grades of stones, polishing tapes, etc. Yes, it did take me quite awhile to learn to use. I practiced on the dozens of crummy knives I already had. Now I just touch up my better knives 1 time a year. Just a few hours.

As it turned out, I have for the past few years returned to wood carving, so having a kit that keeps my carving tools in good shape is a plus. It also allowed me to restore a few of my mother's machine sharpened blades, which I gave as a gift to my son, who is the lead cook at a local cafe.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Lit said:

Agree the stones are really easy to use and I actually enjoy sharpening my knives. I do the 1000/6000 king stone then a loaded strop at 30000 then 60000 grit then a bovine leather strop. I have been eyeing a shapton glass 10000 stone since no water is required it would be perfect for honing but the flattener is 3 times the price of the stone and the stone isn't cheap. 
    ive found theres a point where grit size does not mean as much, theres a trade off between smoothness and sharpness of a blade. they will give a range of grit on a natural coticule stone but it doesnt compare to finer grits the same, the coticule sharpened razor is a extremely smooth edge compared to finer grit edges. im not sure why this is, ones sharper, one cuts better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Options
    Most times I think using my 10K Chosera is overkill, usually stop at 5K.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Chefs choice trizor xv.   Incredible value, i think it was $149 so appears pricey but man does it work well.  And it is so easy to use that even a dumb@ss like me cant screw it up
  • Focker
    Options
    Chefs choice trizor xv.   Incredible value, i think it was $149 so appears pricey but man does it work well.  And it is so easy to use that even a dumb@ss like me cant screw it up
    ATK is fond of it. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yif_uMZ-y5k
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options

@focker THANK YOU!!  That video cleared up MANY things in my brain that I was getting confused over when everyone started talking degrees, and Japanese Knives, etc.  It will help me make a better choice.  I am probably going to go with the Chef's Choice Trizor XV as it seems like it will be easier for me to use than the Ken Onion one, even though the Ken Onion one just seems soooo much cooler! 

This is the only knife I have bought since diving into this cooking thing.  I can't tell what degree it is from the description.  Does anyone know? 

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-12-Inch-Granton-Slicing-Fibrox/dp/B0000CFDB9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476469351&sr=8-1&keywords=Victorinox+12-Inch+Granton+Edge+Slicing+Knife+with+Fibrox+Handle

I love the knife, all my other ones are decades old---the kind you buy with the butcher block, so I will probably be adding more to the collection, but I really am going to wait for Christmas to get those as presents.  no, really, I am this time, Honest.

Livermore, California
  • gdenby
    Options
    Victorinox kitchen knives consistently are ranked as close to sharpness and edge retention as knives about 3 times more costly. I've read that they can go down to 15 degrees. Not fancy, but very serviceable.

Any knife I've ever tried to sharpen can be taken way down to 10 degrees. Cheapo knives will hold the edge for maybe 4 cuts, and then fold over. Harder steels will retain the angle for awhile longer, but often will get tiny chips, making the edge a fine saw, not a knife. Only the really hard, fine grained steels are worth the effort.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    For everyday sharpening of my everyday knives, I like the Chef's Choice electric job (I have the model 130). Coincidentally, I was in the kitchen of my favorite restaurant last year talking with the head chef, and he uses the same one on all his knives.

For my best knives, I do it the hard way with either the Ken Onion or the Edge Pro Apex job.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have the ken onion. They suggest 25 degrees for kitchen knives.  What do you guys think?  I have a couple of good German knives 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario