Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

May get to try and make a chili this weekend

Options
Hey all It's been a while

3+ months without lighting the Egg.  if it is sanitary enough (no mold or whatever) I may make a chili this Sunday - like Cowlick chili but would like to add some chunks of beef to it along with the ground sausage and ground beef.

Was thinking of searing the beef in the DO on the Egg and/or smoking the beef for ~ 1 hour before adding to the DO.

Any ideas on what what cut of beef?  Would like it to be tender and not tough and chewy.

If the Egg is not Sanitary I may make this indoor and try to do a clean burn this weekend at least or just wait it out as the next time I can use it looks like Thanksgiving weekend hopefully.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Now I just saw someone posted a chuck chilli post - that is weird.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I really like it with brisket. That is the only beef I have tried with. My favorite is to just use leftovers from a whole packer cook and include some cubed up point and flat. I have also smoked a flat for the sole purpose of making a pot of chili and it turned out good...but not as good as brisket that includes some point.

I think chuck roast would work out fine.  The only thing is I find chuck roast can get a bit stringy, so I would just make sure the cubes are fairly small.  I would shoot for the cooked cubes to be 1/2 inch or less. 

Another one I would like to try is short rib meat, although that might get a little pricey for chili. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.