Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table top question

Options
 I'm about to build a new table for my XL and mini max..
 While at the steel yard today I saw this "grate."  Should be fairly easy to cut out a nice circle with the plasma cutter for my XL.
 It will be reinforced on the bottom with some steel tubing.
thoughts on using this for a BGE table top?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I like it!  Take pics as you go.  That's awesome you have a plasma cutter...
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    That stuff makes a fantastic fire grate. If you were to do so, reinforce the bottom, but only where it won't reach all the way across to the fire box. After a cook or two, heat and gravity will shape it into a bowl. Air flow is many times what I had with the original, and I have never needed a wiggle stick. Add some handles to be able to take it out and shake out the ashes. Or, just buy a kab.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    That is commonly referred to as "raised expanded steel". It should work fine. Personally it'd go flat expanded steel and powder coat but it would need more reinforcement. Just be sure to paint or powder coat it unless you like the rusted look. And support it well under the egg.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    It leaves a lot of sharp edges when cut.