Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Made some bacon. Sliced it up tonight.

Started 2 weeks ago
salt, brown sugar, thyme, pepper and garlic.  To half of it,  I added a healthy 1/2 cup of maple syrup for a sweeter option. Came out great. After all, I had to cook some as I was slicing!  

Here red is just 1/8 of it sliced:

I have have yet to smoke any I have ever made. Not sure why.... Fear of the unknown maybe?  

What is in your favorite recipie?
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I applaud you and others to make bacon. Couple of fresh eggs, add some grits and you got something right there. PM me if you want me to explain grits. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice! Now, which Costco do you find whole belly at?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I love grits!  Butter, salt and syrup is my favorite wintertime breakfast!  Do I need further education?  
    Large and MiniMax

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    You collect your own fresh eggs, cure your own bacon and you like grits....nope....you got this. Where do I get in line? I believe you can teach me a few things.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Sea2Ski
    DMW said:
    KOP.  full disclosure: I have only seen it there 2x. I have not been back since I grabbed this one. I am going there later this week for a important cook this weekend. I will look to see if they have any. If they have some and it will save you time, I can grab one for you.  Just let me know....
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    You collect your own fresh eggs, cure your own bacon and you like grits....nope....you got this. Where do I get in line? I believe you can teach me a few things.
    You have my address. Let me know when I am going to get a knock on the door, and I will have breakfast ready.  You are always welcome!
    Large and MiniMax

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Sea2Ski said:
    DMW said:
    KOP.  full disclosure: I have only seen it there 2x. I have not been back since I grabbed this one. I am going there later this week for a important cook this weekend. I will look to see if they have any. If they have some and it will save you time, I can grab one for you.  Just let me know....
    Thanks for the offer. I'll drive by there probably 2 or 3 times this week. I'll stop by at some point and see if they have any.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Don't be afraid to throw a little smoke on it. 

What slicer do you have? I have been on the fence on buying a decent one. Part of me would rather have another decent blade. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Ive really been wanting to do this. Even uncooked it looks great
  • That looks great!  I can almost smell it.

I need to do it again soon.  On my last batch I added the maple like you did but I also pulsed up a couple jalapenos in the food processor and added that to the cure mix.  It gave a nice subtle flavor to that bacon. 
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    looks great!  I don't smoke all of mine - the unsmoked is perfectly great.  I've tried curing it with different seasonings but the favorite is still just salt, sugar, and nitrite.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Sea2Ski
    @Killit_and_Grillit, I have the advantco 10".  Got it at the Resturant store. It was ~300 if I remember. Comes with sharpener and all.  My only complaint is that the throw is just a little short.  Certainly not a deal breaker.  It is no Hobart, but I can carry this in one hand, hide it under a corner table, and it has done everything I asked for it to do.  
    Large and MiniMax