Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken and Chickpeas in the new 15" CI skillet

Options
Rubbed the chicken with Garam Masala,Salt and Pepper then into a preheated CI skillet at 450   After 20 mins I added the chickpeas that had EVOO,garlic,garam masala and S&P 

Let it roll till the chicken was almost done(stirring chickpeas a few times) then squeezed a lime over the dish and added lime slices and cilantro 

Rested up and plated up 

The flavors in this dish were unreal!!   Definitely will be repeated.  Might add some heat next time.  Any suggestions @caliking ?  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a diamond plate full of goodness , Matt :) the chickpeas cooked in the chicken drippings must have been fantastic. Would not have thought of cooking it like that, so I may steal this. 

can i ask what inspired this cook? Chicken with chickpeas is a Pakistani dish, but usually made a bit differently than your cook. if you are into cooking food from that part of the world, I could give you some ideas to try a different version. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    caliking said:
     Chicken with chickpeas is a Pakistani dish,...
    And Middle Eastern, and North African... :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Beautiful meal as always. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    caliking said:
    That's a diamond plate full of goodness , Matt :) the chickpeas cooked in the chicken drippings must have been fantastic. Would not have thought of cooking it like that, so I may steal this. 

can i ask what inspired this cook? Chicken with chickpeas is a Pakistani dish, but usually made a bit differently than your cook. if you are into cooking food from that part of the world, I could give you some ideas to try a different version. 
    @caliking - I'm all about different kinds of food from different parts of the world.  This cook happened because Mrs3969 ask for something with chickpeas and chicken.  Although this dish had a great taste, I thought it was lacking in the flavor I would like to see, that's why I called on you.  You helped me with wok cooking so here I go again.   Lead me to the correct way of cooking this style of food. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:
     Chicken with chickpeas is a Pakistani dish,...
    And Middle Eastern, and North African... :)
    True, but the garam masala brings it further east. 

I thought he was trying to make chicken cholay (also chhole, chole, chholay). 

• caliking
    Options
    @Mattman3969 - the Pakistani version has some sauce in it. Google chicken (or Murgh) chole/chhole/cholay/chholay. I'll try and look for a recipe too. 

The garam masala is typically used in smaller amounts than the main spices in a dish, sort of an accent or secondary flavor. Everyone has a different garam masala recipe that they like.  The chickpeas are usually made in a base of onions, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, cumin, and coriander. The sauce is somewhat thicker too. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    That dish would be a hit at my house. Gonna have to get on the Google machine. 

thanks for the inspiration. 
  • caliking
    Options
    Okay I found a recipe here, which is pretty much what I've done in the past.
    http://www.desicookbook.com/recipe.aspx?Recipe=35

I made some edits to it. May have to give the chicken a head start if doing it on the egg.

Murgh Cholay Recipe

Ingredients

3lbs chicken 
    1 tsp. salt (according to taste) 
    1/2  tsp. turmeric (Haldi) powder
    1 tsp. chili (Lal Mirch) powder 
    1 medium onion-chopped 
    2 cups Chana boiled.
    (Chick peas/Garbanzo beans) 
    1 tsp. ginger (Adrak) paste 
    1 tsp. garlic (Lehsan) paste 
    1/2 tsp. garam masala 
    6 tbs. oil 
    1medium tomato 
    2 green chilies 
    1 tsp. fresh coriander (Dhaniya) leaves

Instructions

Fry the half of the onion in oil till it starts to turn brown. Add Garlic (Lehsan), Ginger (Adrak), salt, chili powder and Turmeric (Haldi). Fry for a minute.
    Add chicken and tomatoes. Add a little water if you're using mutton. 
    When the meat is tender add the Chana and cook for 3-4 minutes. 
    Mash the Chana slightly to create gravy.
    Add garam masala, green chilies, and Coriander Seeds (Dhaniya) leaves on top. 
    Fry the remainder of the onions in a little oil and when they're brown and crispy add them in.
    Serve with naan.
    Serving: 2 to 3 persons