Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tongs

I am in desperate need of a decent Tong to cook with.
 These ones that I have been buying from Kmart Walmart Publix etc are all too flimsy or just a PITA to handle. 

What are you guys using?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Vollrath and Cuisipro are the only ones I could see names. I hate the ones that aren't rolled into a complete "C" on the shafts and catch your hands.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Cooks Illustrated winner was the Oxo 16" tongs. I have two pair, just in case on set is dirty. I use them a lot!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Oxo tongs. I have at least a half dozen of them. They are light but sturdy. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Once you have moved on to Pig Tail Flippers you'll never use tongs again. They grab securely and a simple flip of the wrist and the task is done. And yes I'm the guy who uses mine to flip pancakes! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    RRP said:
    Once you have moved on to Pig Tail Flippers you'll never use tongs again. They grab securely and a simple flip of the wrist and the task is done. And yes I'm the guy who uses mine to flip pancakes! 
    had to go look it up....that would drive me nuts until I got used to it.  What about the precious meat juice loss from it sticking into the meat?  (Being sarcastic here)
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • RRP
    Key is to not think - just stick and flip! BTW yes a leftie needs a leftie flipper. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I like this one 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    RRP said:
    Once you have moved on to Pig Tail Flippers you'll never use tongs again..
    I think I'll stick with tongs for flipping my chicken wings. Or trout. Or ears of corn. Or...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    RRP said:

Ron, Ron, Ron. What about asparagus, green beans, fish and potatoes?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    RRP said:
    had to go look it up....that would drive me nuts until I got used to it.  What about the precious meat juice loss from it sticking into the meat?  (Being sarcastic here)
    Oh no you didn't 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    RRP said:

He's got mad skillz. He can flip the beans with that thing! 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • RRP
    RRP said:

Then I use a round cornered spatula. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Costco had these a while back.  I like them a lot.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    RRP said:
    The ol' man speaks truth.  One cook learning curve.  They are IV catheter bevel sharp, will flip anything grill related.  I have an older wood/metal Weber set that is dear to my heart, but they now collect dust.  

WallyWorld sells great, cheap, metal tongs.  Use a couple of those for the KBQ, snake, and Minion fires.  Nice and long.  

Cannot stand my short All Clad ones.  

Half the time I quick grab and flip with my so called "asbestos hands".

This all boils down to personal preference.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Hmmmm, pigtail flipper. I've seen them but have never tried one. Better go you tube it. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Made by Jaccard, two in a set.  The wood ones have a flat spot to keep from rolling when put on a table, and a leather loop to hang.  Love mine.  Big one for the house, little one in the mobile kitchen tote.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    BilZol said:
    Hmmmm, pigtail flipper. I've seen them but have never tried one. Better go you tube it. 
    My pleasure!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF6O9oYXlA8&feature=youtu.be
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Tongs seem easier to me
  • Focker
    Worth it for pulling sauced ribs alone.  No gunked up tongs to clean all the way up the handle.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Lit
    Focker said:
    Worth it for pulling sauced ribs alone.  No gunked up tongs to clean all the way up the handle.
    My first thought was trying to get ribs out of my cabinet  using those. They are probably good for an egg but it seems like not so good for others.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Lit said:
    Tongs seem easier to me
    Me too.

Was kinda surprised that in that video the fellow didn't go on to show us how he folds his laundry with the Pig Tail flipper. Or goes thru his mail. Or riffling thru a file cabinet at the office. :) 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Lit
    HeavyG said:
    Lit said:
    Tongs seem easier to me
    Me too.

Was kinda surprised that in that video the fellow didn't go on to show us how he folds his laundry with the Pig Tail flipper. Or goes thru his mail. Or riffling thru a file cabinet at the office. :) 
    And the ones in his video are so short. If that grill was hot that video would have looked way different with lots of cussing.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Go purchase some from a reasturant supply. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    edited October 2016
    Edlund tongs are my favorite. They're American made don't flex and twist like the cheapos. I have three 9in and one twelve. I bought them at a local restaurant supply house. here's a link. http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-149187/?affsrcid=AFF0001&utm_source=channeladvisor&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=connexity&szredirectid=14759761487730593798610080302008005&CA_6C15C=120120820000017949

Just an fyi I have a pig flipper.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I like my ribs pretty tender - pig tail would pull away a bone :-) but may buy one for steak/chop/chicken cooks!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Lit said:
    Focker said:
    My first thought was trying to get ribs out of my cabinet  using those. They are probably good for an egg but it seems like not so good for others.
    For the KBQ, I pull the grids, then transfer each slab with the Jaccard, onto a sheet of foil to loosely wrap and hold.

Hans61 said:
    I like my ribs pretty tender - pig tail would pull away a bone :-) but may buy one for steak/chop/chicken cooks!

Was a concern at first too, thought they were gimmicky, until I used actually them. :o
    Haven't lost a rack yet.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have a couple of Vollrath brand that I like. Found them at a restaurant supply house. They had every size ever made, I think! This style...

Hate the ones with the sliding lock that always seems to lock all by itself.

May have to try the pigtail.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    RRP said:
    BilZol said:
    My pleasure!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF6O9oYXlA8&feature=youtu.be
    SOLD! Thanks for the video. Gotta have one now just for the coolness factor. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • You misspelled "thong".