Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Auxiliary Fridge and Freezer

Options
oldgeezeystax
oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
edited October 2016 in Off Topic
OT but not wayyyy OT.  

I've been wanting to get an additional freezer for the basement for a long time and now that my family is growing it's time.  Our kitchen fridge is relatively small and the freezer is even smaller so you can't really squeeze much in there and good luck keeping it organized.  My hope is to get both a separate fridge and freezer and I don't particularly care what they look like as they will be living in the basement, do you have any tips for buying used appliances?  Things to avoid?  How much money should I expect to shell out?  What's your auxiliary keep food cold or frozen setup like? 

Thanks all!   
Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    There is a place on East Street by Monocacy Brewing and Triangle Motors that sells used appliances cheap(around 100 bucks for fridges, $75 for W/D) I think he buys them from yard sales and whatnot and sells them once he makes sure they work. Otherwise, you can find floor model/scratch and dings at local retailers(Bray and Scarff, Lowes, etc) 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Otherwise, Craigslist is an option as well. 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options

We have our old side by side as well as a floor Freezer to hold all the frozen nuggets in the garage.  We decided to upgrade our Kitchen Fridge with the money, even though it was more, rather than do the used thing. I want to say our floor freezer was only a couple hundred bucks, as it really is nothing special at all.

I would check new vs. used......if you are not looking for anything fancy, fridges and freezers really are not very expensive at all, and buying a used one, could lead to an early repair that would cost you the same as just buying new.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Danby-Designer-24-in-W-11-0-cu-ft-Freezerless-Refrigerator-in-White-Counter-Depth-DAR110A1WDD/205471286

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliances-Freezers-Ice-Makers-Chest-Freezers/N-5yc1vZc3nr/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-freezers?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i have three fridges, the newest is maybe 35 years old. do todays fridges last that long. my old one is maybe 30's/40's vintage. was talking to an appliance guy recently and he said new lasts about 10 years, is that right
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    i have three fridges, the newest is maybe 35 years old. do todays fridges last that long. my old one is maybe 30's/40's vintage. was talking to an appliance guy recently and he said new lasts about 10 years, is that right
    Neat!  Where do you get these vintage appliances? Craigslist? 
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    If you want to keep it organized you probably want to get an upright freezer not a chest one.  We used to have a large chest freezer but it was always difficult trying to find something that you knew was in there somewhere. When it died, we replaced it with an upright.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Neat!  Where do you get these vintage appliances? Craigslist? 
    ive never bought a fridge new or used, they have always come to me free. theres always someone that thinks they need to upgrade or its the wrong color =)   this ones in the boiler room lounge at work, if i ever get a game room it will be painted up new like. only thing thats been replaced is the door gasket. this one came from the town postoffice when they knocked it down
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    If you buy something used I wouldn't get anything that is too old. The energy efficiency of newer models is much better and will save you operating costs.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tikigriller
    Options
    No doubt that they just don't make things like they used to, but if it is a simple model with no frills other than cold or colder, they should have a much better shelf life than all these new fridge's with computers and filters and all  the extra goodies that probably don't even really do anything.

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    Options
    In fairness..I have always been a "buy it new" kind of guy.  I fix and repair Used Cars every single day and see all the crap that goes wrong with them, and usually, when someone is done with something,  it is because they are not working the way they used to.  You can find good stuff out there, I just love the benefit of a warranty and that justifies the extra expense in my world.

Livermore, California
  • fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    If you buy something used I wouldn't get anything that is too old. The energy efficiency of newer models is much better and will save you operating costs.
    i remember reading the really old ones like i posted were actually efficient, smaller box, no frost free feature. its the 60's thru the 90's where things went south
    fukahwee maine

• smokeybreeze
    Options
    I've got a second hand fridge/freezer in the garage for beer, tonic, bottled water (fridge) and vodka (freezer) - been working for nearly 20 years now.
    I've also got two large chest freezers in the garage because I like free-range organic grocery shopping with a gun and moose, deer, elk, geese, caribou, duck, pheasant and the like take up lots of space. I bought the freezers new from an appliance shop that sells "scratch and dent" new appliances for a good discount.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I'd be wary of buying a combo fridge-freezer for your basement; fridge items will spoil relatively soon and you want them easy to access.  
    I grew up with a chest freezer in the basement, Mom & Dad bought half a cow and half a pig every fall, and Mom always bought bread at the day-old store, ten loaves at a time, and they also went into that freezer.  I was usually sent into the basement once a day to retrieve that night's meat, and a loaf of bread if needed.  You don't want to be running down there for butter, or the ketchup, or fresh veggies you bought the day before.  
    (disclaimer: a garage fridge would be great for cold drinks whilst wrenching)
    FWIW.  (and new Freezer-only units, both chest and upright, are relatively inexpensive).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Fish

the one at the camp has been there since 75 and was used then. The one at dads still worked fine but the top rusted through and all the insides were literally breaking apart. The compressor and the motor were ok and I have the motor powering a bench grinder
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I've got an upright and a chest freezer in the laundry room  (huge room). I don't really care for the upright. Yes it's used, but most all the meat I buy goes in the chest freezer. Bought the upright when the kitchen freezer went out and bought the chest freezer after processing a deer and not having room in the upright. Also bought a couple of freezer alarms from Thermoworks to alert me if they quit working. Cheap insurance.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My beer fridge is 80's vintage and still keeps beer ice cold and the freezer part is jammed with meat.  I expected the thing to fail because it's not an old battleship type appliance,  but it keeps chugging along.
    Flint, Michigan
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    What happens to a fridge in the garage when temperatures hit sub zero?  I assume the sensor just knows to turn off, but any risk of damage to the mechanicals ?
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I don't unplug mine.  I do keep a mason jar of water in the freezer with a couple of pennies on top.  When I retrieve something from the freezer, I check the to make sure the pennies are still on top.  If the pennies have sunk, then there's been a problem and the food is deemed unsafe.
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I don't unplug mine.  I do keep a mason jar of water in the freezer with a couple of pennies on top.  When I retrieve something from the freezer, I check the to make sure the pennies are still on top.  If the pennies have sunk, then there's been a problem and the food is deemed unsafe.
    you probably want to keep that older fridge, the newer ones dont work that well if its cold or hot out =)
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    odie91 said:
    What happens to a fridge in the garage when temperatures hit sub zero?  I assume the sensor just knows to turn off, but any risk of damage to the mechanicals ?
    I've always wondered that about soda machines that sit outside in North Dakota, surely they have heaters built into them to keep the soda from freezing?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• fishlessman
    Options
    Botch said:
    odie91 said:
    I've always wondered that about soda machines that sit outside in North Dakota, surely they have heaters built into them to keep the soda from freezing?  
    i would say that they dont have soda machines outside, they dont have them outside here, atleast i havent seen one since maybe the 70's
    fukahwee maine

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    We have our old house fridge in the garage along with a 19 cu ft chest freezer ( Kenmore Elite). I specifically wanted that model because it has separators for organization and includes a temperature gauge and alarm. And the alarm has saved us a couple times when someone didn't close the lid tight. 

We actually need more freezer space, because 1/3 of the space is taken up with the dogs raw food. While I think I'd like an upright in addition, auto defrost contributes to freezer burn. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle