Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gone Nuclear

Haven't done a clean burn in a couple of years.  Duty host for Canadian Thanksgiving for both sides of the family this year.  Gone nuclear so I can showcase clean eggs his weekend rather than a couple of funky gunky ones.   Chugging along like a couple of steam engines...

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Let'em burn brother. The Grease Gods will be pleased. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Gonna be nice and clean here real soon

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    update?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • @SGH @bhedges1987 @kl8ton Both bases nice and white inside & gunk free.  Domes not as much but clean all the same.  Used a full bag of Royal Oak.  Last time used a bag of BGE lump and results were much whiter.  Maybe it burns hotter?  Don't want to start another damn lump debate.  Satisfied  none the less.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    edited October 2016
    oh my goodness your gasket vaporized :smile:
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • @kl8ton that one has been gasketless since the previous burn 2yrs ago, but yes the newer large is naked now as well.  Might get around to replacing both some day.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Oh no all the flavor making stuff is gone!!!!! I will be doing the same by end of the month as I need to put my eggs up for the winter. Have two larges with no gaskets as well.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Oh no all the flavor making stuff is gone!!!!! I will be doing the same by end of the month as I need to put my eggs up for the winter. Have two larges with no gaskets as well.
    Why on earth would you need to put your eggs up for the winter?  Did I miss something?  I thought the beauty of the kamado was that it held heat way better then a kettle thus making it easier to bbq all year.  Not that winter stopped me from using a kettle mind you.  
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    I am on the same page as @Lumpy_Coal . I am in Central Illinois and I am planning to use it all winter. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited October 2016
    Both my egg and Blackstone will be in use during the winter. Never know what you'll get in Central Indiana 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    EggMcMic said:
    I am on the same page as @Lumpy_Coal . I am in Central Illinois and I am planning to use it all winter. 
    You will have no issues using your egg during the winter.  I'm not sure if Chicken is just joking or maybe since he as about 30 eggs he puts a few away during the winter.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Jupiter Jim
    Oh no all the flavor making stuff is gone!!!!! I will be doing the same by end of the month as I need to put my eggs up for the winter. Have two larges with no gaskets as well.
    Why on earth would you need to put your eggs up for the winter?  Did I miss something?  I thought the beauty of the kamado was that it held heat way better then a kettle thus making it easier to bbq all year.  Not that winter stopped me from using a kettle mind you.  
    Simple because we take our Motor Home to Okeechobee Florida for the winter and taking two larges, one Mini Max and a Mini is just out of the question. I have a small that lives in the Motor Home and my business partner let's me use his medium in Okeechobee. I do a clean burn so the insides don't get moldy over the winter. Hope that makes some sense!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• I'm north of Toronto, Canada and egg all winter as most northern eggheads do.

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Thanks @Jupiter Jim  for the clarification! This will be my first winter 'egging' and I am excited for it.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Jupiter Jim
    EggMcMic said:
    Thanks @Jupiter Jim  for the clarification! This will be my first winter 'egging' and I am excited for it.

I have been here in NC during some winter months and was Egging for sure.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    No way am I going to egg all winter.  My lord...it gets to below 50 degrees on some nights!!!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    While I totally despise winter I'm kind of looking forward to going some cooks in the teens, singles, and below zero days just so I can say I did them. That and I like smoked and grilled goodness. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • A word to the wise, when you do a clean burn, remove your thermometer from the egg, clean burn temps are out of spec for what your thermometer is said to be able to handle by the manufacturer. YMMV
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    EggMcMic said:
    Love it!  I'm in western IL.  A Carhartt hoody and some whiskey or scotch and I'll putz creating magic outside no problem.  Hard to beat some of those savory and hearty dishes that time of year.  Consistently warm and dry weather is boring, and overrated.  Those dishes wouldn't taste the same.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Are those thermometers wrapped all the way around? Only had that happen once on accident.

I egg in the winter. Course I'm in North Texas so our lows MIGHT be in the 20s for a couple of nights. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• @Toxarch yup wrapped right around to nuclear but as @smokeybreeze said, take out the thermometer.  You will fry the gasket so be prepared to replace it or go without one which is fine as well.  Winter egging has seen temps as low as 22 degrees up here and the neighbors think I'm a bit tetched in the head.

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    @Toxarch yup wrapped right around to nuclear but as @smokeybreeze said, take out the thermometer.  You will fry the gasket so be prepared to replace it or go without one which is fine as well.  Winter egging has seen temps as low as 22 degrees up here and the neighbors think I'm a bit tetched in the head.

22 is balmy for some...
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    No way am I going to egg all winter.  My lord...it gets to below 50 degrees on some nights!!!!
    Egging in the winter is the best with lots of snow. Hold your hands out and warm them or put them on the egg---like winter camping. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Usually when it gets down to 22 here, it will also snow. That snow quickly turns to ice so the whole area will close down for a day or two.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• BGE lore has it that it's always good move to take out the dome thermometers.  

Precautionary i think. Not sure that their being pinned at 250, after spinning around once, is a potential problem. But some think that's a reason some thermos go out of calibration 
  • The old style BGE thermometers I had definitely would get out of whack at high heat. I don't know about the new ones because I always pull them out for a clean burn now.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    The old therms where whack from the git-go.  The new TelTrus I've left in.  Used to wrap it quite often when eggin pizzas...still holding strong.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."