Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smashed burgers... Loved them so much, but it cost a bit more in the end though!

Options
Wow, not sure why it took so long to try it, but wished I had a long time ago. Didn't get any pics of the finished product as we were eating them as soon as they came off and since they cook so fast. Read lots of posts on the forum and tried to follow as closely as possible, it did not disappoint. We all agreed, this is the way to have a burger!! Had the egg at 500-600 range, CI skillet in the whole time. Round ball of ground in the pan, immediately smashed down with a CI press and parchment paper in between so it didn't stick. 2 mins first side, carefully scraped and flipped. Seasoned with s&p, added american cheese slice and left for 1 min while toasting and loading up the buns. Lettuce, tomato and onion, mayo and thousand island dressing. Kept it simple and would do it the same next time! Wished I had a pic of the final product, it was money! 

For any new eggers thinking of trying the smash burger, don't think about it! Just do it, but be careful... We loved it so much, I ordered a Blackstone tonight... Can see how much easier it would be on a flat griddle like that.  

Tummy is happy, my wallet.... well. No regrets! 

Comments

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Never heard of them before coming to this forum, it is already a family favorite. So many years lost and wasted on just burgers. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Options
    Me either @tikigriller what were we doing all these years? It's ok, we can make up for lost time.

Now you're doing cookies on the egg tonight too, well done! Would love to see a pic of the finished product... if you post them you might even get @sgh approval. :) 
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Perfect in my book for a premade dough. Chewy but slightly crunchy on the edges. Even got to play with the new FB200.....very cool!!!

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Luvnlife
    Options
    Well done @tikigriller those look great. Chewy and crunchy sounds like you nailed them. Drooling here now.... thanks! 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Nice. You'll love your Blackstone. Did you get the 17" or full size?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    OK.  I'll ask the obvious question for the uninitiated like myself.  Why are smashburgers better than regular burgers.  I can make a pretty good burger.  And if I stuff it I can take it to the next level.  Why would I do a smashburger?  Just trying to learn.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    OK.  I'll ask the obvious question for the uninitiated like myself.  Why are smashburgers better than regular burgers.  I can make a pretty good burger.  And if I stuff it I can take it to the next level.  Why would I do a smashburger?  Just trying to learn.
    i like them both. with the smashburger thers a certain balance between char, texture, juicyness thats easy to duplicate over and over. then theres the time involved, 3 to 4 minutes and your serving/eating burgers with a blackstone.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I'm two minutes from a 5 Guys. 5 minutes from a Steak and Shake and 10 minutes from an actual Smash Burger (never been) if in the mood. 

Suppose it would be a "show-off" cook for company. Otherwise, it's an extrs grease clean up on the CI Skillet as opposed to a simple raised direct. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Actually if you do smashburgers right, there will be very little if any grease on your Blackstone or CI skillet. The juices stay in the burger. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    you also get twice the charred area smashing them so thin then stacking. as mentioned they cook faster which seems to keep the juice in so over cooking isnt much of a problem. the bigger griddle gives more cooking options, burgers, duck eggs, onions, bulkies, balsamic glaze, all coming off at the same time

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Options
    And that is the 17 fish is using.  A workhorse.

Both styles have their place.  A ground burger(deer, beef) over Blue K holds a dedicated spot, in my left ventricle.  Like hearing JCM or The Boss or Tom Petty on the radio waves.  One of those every now and then cooks I look forward to, especially camping over Memorial Day or the 4th.  Same goes for the half-smasshes I like, a hybrid of the two.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    Focker said:
    And that is the 17 fish is using.  A workhorse.

Both styles have their place.  A ground burger(deer, beef) over Blue K holds a dedicated spot, in my left ventricle.  Like hearing JCM or The Boss or Tom Petty on the radio waves.  One of those every now and then cooks I look forward to, especially camping over Memorial Day or the 4th.  Same goes for the half-smasshes I like, a hybrid of the two.
    I agree, I like both styles. Smash burgers are great as doubles or triplets, but a big, fat stuffed burger can be heaven too. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Sorry for the not so smart question but what's the best way to check for doneness on a smashburger? I'm a more of a rare to medium rare guy. I'm in the process of seasoning my Blackstone so this is a whole new process for me. Thanks!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Sorry for the not so smart question but what's the best way to check for doneness on a smashburger? I'm a more of a rare to medium rare guy. I'm in the process of seasoning my Blackstone so this is a whole new process for me. Thanks!
    I've only done these a few times, but I have yet to see more than a slight hint of pink inside, much less rare! Still plenty juicy and flavorful. The "official" smashburger involves a hot griddle, smashing the meatball to 1/2" thickness, holding it there for 10-15 seconds then cooking for 1 more minute. Then flipping it for another minute. Total of 2:15 according to my timing this video, though he mentions 3:00-3:20 so maybe they edited the vid. Whether they did or not, look at the finished product... no pink at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl7XOmsWq9I

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    WeberWho said:

I scrape and flip when the juice just starts to bubble on top.  Apply cheese and dome it.   The second side is just until the cheese is melted - under a minute.
    Phoenix 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @Foghorn the draw is that it maximizes the ratio of browned area to over all burger volume. (Im still working on the formula, jeepster probably knows it)

i tried them once and thought they were great but without a big flat griddle it's kind of tedious 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I had the same exact thoughts until I tried my first smashburger.  The difference is totally in the caramelized crust that is formed on the burger.  It is absolutely bursting with a great beefy flavor.  When I make smashburgers I don't flip for three minutes to maximize that crust and I purposely limit my toppings so that I can taste that caramelized crust.  If I get the desire for a bigger burger, I simply do a double or triple smashburger.  I can't go back now.  A burger without that caramelized crust just seems boring and bland to me now.  No knock on how others like it .. that's just my honest answer to your question.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The "official" standard smashburger weighs 1/3 lb and is 1/2" thick. I wonder what would happen if you made it 1/3 lb x 3/4"? You'd still get the same caramelization and a smaller diameter, but the core wouldn't cook as thoroughly, no?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Luvnlife
    Options
    Yeah, I agree the taste is what sold me on it. I'm sure at some point I'll try another thick burger the normal way, but for now the flavour of the smash is way better. It was by far the most moist burger I've had. The first one was a little thicker as I didn't smash enough and was a little rare, the rest were just right. I'd suggest maybe practice on a couple burgers paying attention to the thickness, then it's all timing after that. At least that's how it was for my first cook. I also weighed each ground ball to make sure it was even and I could repeat the process. 

Yeah @Griffin I got the 17" as I wanted to be able to take it camping, fishing and hunting too. Seemed to work best for me. 

@THEBuckeye I hear what you're saying, I'm close to a 5 guys and some amazing steak houses as well for that matter, but I enjoy a steak off my egg more too... For me, I just prefer cooking it myself at home and enjoying the time with family and the whole experience. 

@Foghorn I wondered the same thing until I tried it. I guess saying it is better isn't fair as each has their preference. I just have to say the simplicity, the flavour and juiciness was something next level to me, that's all. Give it a try and see what you think. 
  • Luvnlife
    edited October 2016
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @Foghorn the draw is that it maximizes the ratio of browned area to over all burger volume. (Im still working on the formula, jeepster probably knows it)

i tried them once and thought they were great but without a big flat griddle it's kind of tedious 
    I agree about the tedious part @blind99 at first I though just use the CI on the egg. Then realized how much easier it would be on a Blackstone and I needed a new camping grill anyways. So it was a win win. 

Also, @hub very well said! I agree. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @foghorn a smash burger is a griddled burger traditional to diners/fast food, with the smashing increasing the crust factor.

Thicker ones like the one you pictured are pub burgers. Each have their place. I like pub burgers since you can add stuff(onions, seasoning) to the ground meat for different flavor and they get that nice smoke infused flavor with the reddish hue on the grill. It's just whatever is floating your boat that day, but for a traditional burger with mustard, LTO, and cheese w/wo bacon, smash is the way to go.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Hey are two different burgers. We just ran through pub burgers and smash burgers, and everyone here is on the same page of liking both because they are different. They are so different, I would do a pub burger on Wednesday and a smash burger on Thursday and still feel they were different meals all together. 

Livermore, California
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Luvnlife said:
    blind99 said:

I agree about the tedious part @blind99 at first I though just use the CI on the egg. Then realized how much easier it would be on a Blackstone and I needed a new camping grill anyways. So it was a win win. 

Also, @hub very well said! I agree. 
    i like the way you solved the problem!  i bet that griddle will be a lot of fun to cook on.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Luvnlife
    Options
    Haha @blind99 been looking for an excuse to pull the trigger for a while. Figured this was as good as any! 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Thanks to all who explained it. That is very helpful. I guess I have something else to try. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Luvnlife
    Options
    Finally got the new Blackstone seasoned and enjoyed the first round of smash burgers tonight off it, so much easier! Very happy with the results.

• tikigriller
    Options
    Oh yeah!!!

Livermore, California
  • Luvnlife
    Options
    Just finished cleaning up and already want more @tikigriller lol!
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Did my first ones on the Blackstone last night, so I know exactly what you mean!!!  It was so great doing four at once, and an egg for me, with some fresh bacon instead of frozen microwaved bacon...just can't get everyone else in the family to understand the egg on the burger thing. I am so happy with my Blackstone and I hold you directly responsible.....and that story from @weberwho getting his surprise from his wife!  
    Tomorrow morning, pancakes, hash browns, eggs while the butt hums along on the egg!

damn it...I just got home from eating out and nOw I want a smash burger. How I have managed to LOSE weight since getting into this hobby is more mystical than the Cubs playing in the World Series!!

Livermore, California
  • Luvnlife
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Lol @tikigriller eggs on a burger is the best, that'll be next for sure when I have a group over. That burger looks amazing! Similar cook planned for us here tomorrow morning too! Enjoyed the series so far, either way it's going to be a good final soon.