Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf on the Egg is a Winner

Options
After reading all the forum posts about meatloaf, I decided to give it a shot, even when my wife told me several times she hates meatloaf and wanted nothing to do with it. Disclaimer: neither one of us had ever had it done in an egg... So here it goes...

I mixed all this together:  

2 pounds of ground beef (85/15)
1 pound of sausage
1/2 Cup of minced onions
1/2 Cup of minced bell pepper
Half a minced jalapeño
2 eggs
1/3 cup of breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon cumin 
1 tablespoon of Weber KC BBQ dry rub seasoning 

I formed it all into a patty in a greased cake pan, because I had nothing else to put it in...

The topping was more Weber KC BBQ rub, cumin, crushed red pepper and Mexican oregano. No ketchup. No sauce. 

I set my large egg up for indirect cooking with the adjustable rig and baked at 350° for about 1.5 hours total, until internal temp reached 150°. I added a small chunk of pecan to the Rockwood for some smoke flavor. 

In the meantime, I mixed up some cornbread batter, poured into a cake pan, covered in foil and baked it in the same egg (thanks adjustable rig) for about 30 minutes up high in the dome. Amazing result with no smoke taste, just moist cornbread the way it should be. I may not foil next time to see the difference. 

I sliced and served the meatloaf with a smear of BBQ sauce and dash of Tapatio for some additional spicy heat. I got a great smoke ring even though it was hard to see in the plated pic

The mashed potatoes and green beans were done on the stove. 

I put a slice of cornbread in a big glass of milk for dessert. 

I actually was able to completely change my wife's mind about meatloaf, and my own for that matter too. She swore she hates meatloaf, but said I have to make this again, and I will!

Thanks to all of you who posted about this timeless classic. The egg definitely takes meatloaf from a childhood memory I'd like to forget about to something I will keep in the egg cooking rotation. 

Thanks for looking...

Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Meatloaf is one of the greatest things to smoke imo.  I can't get enough of it, and yours looks terrific.  

Not sure about the cornbread in the glass of milk though...

Phoenix 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Meatloaf on the egg is something far different than what one makes in a regular oven. Yours looks great. Well done. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I will be making meatloaf tonight. Thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Excellent post. Meatloaf on the Egg is one of my favorites. Your whole cook looks delicious!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options

Bookmarked.  This will be had this week....thinking Wednesday Night when I start to play with the new FB200.  Wife told me this morning she needs a break from all the red meat I have been cooking, so tonight is chicken kababs, tomorrow taco's with ground turkey, so that sets up Meatloaf Wednesday!  Not only will it be my first meatloaf on the egg, it will be the first time ever I have made meatloaf, as I have never been a huge fan either.

Great looking meal right there!  I even have the cornbread mix at home already!!! And I will be trying cornbread int he glass of milk....it obviously must be a secret knowledge thing, as I never would have though of it.  If it doesn't work out, then I will be forced to have a second glass of milk with Oreo's in it and compare!

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Haha thanks everyone! I can say I'll never like meatloaf unless it was done on an egg. 

The cornbread in milk is great, gotta try it! Although oreos do sound better
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I love it. I like a ketchup siracha glaze on mine.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Jameson19
    Options
    Ketchup and Siracha sounds good too

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    Gotta try it myself; looks fantastic.  My wife loves meatloaf but she can't take hot/spicy food, so I'd probably skip the jalepeno and hot sauce.  I love the flavoring idea that is so different than traditional meatloaf.  That's what really appeals to me, so I'm going to try it myself and thanks for sharing.
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Meatloaf off the Egg is one of my favorites. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

Dropped one tonight myself. Picture as it was on the front side of the cook. Turned out outstanding...as was the mashed taters!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jameson19
    Options

Dropped one tonight myself. Picture as it was on the front side of the cook. Turned out outstanding...as was the mashed taters!
    That looks delicious!

stevez said:
    Gotta try it myself; looks fantastic.  My wife loves meatloaf but she can't take hot/spicy food, so I'd probably skip the jalepeno and hot sauce.  I love the flavoring idea that is so different than traditional meatloaf.  That's what really appeals to me, so I'm going to try it myself and thanks for sharing.
    Actually, the jalepeno just added flavor. I removed the core and the seeds, and that's where all the heat is. 

The most flavor additive was the lump/pecan cooking it. The entire loaf absorbed that smoke goodness. 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Meatloaf sammies for lunch today!

• fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    Bookmarked...ty! Cornbread in milk ....hmmm.  ok ill bite
  • northGAcock
    Options
    fishindoc said:
    Bookmarked...ty! Cornbread in milk ....hmmm.  ok ill bite

For moisture....I often use egg and salsa. Gives the meatloaf a nice added boost of flavor. I use milk when making meatballs....which is not terribly different than meatloaf.