Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke wood with a high temp cook?

Options
I'm going to be trying Big Green Craig's Cast Iron Filet Mignon this afternoon, but I was wondering if there's any benefit to adding smoke wood when you're cooking at 500 degrees?  I realize that this is not smoking, so the point is not specifically to add smoke flavor, but I figure it can't hurt!

What's the highest temp you guys would generally consider to use smoke wood?

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    It still adds flavor IMO.  One of the best steak houses in the country claims it's flavor is the best because they're cooking over hickory wood.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Hope you enjoy it!
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    How was it!?!?  That post was from Saturday and never got to see results. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • NautiRogue
    Options
    Unfortunately, I think that I took your recommendation to "coat your filet with a heavy coating of kosher salt and rub it in. (Don’t forget the sides!)" to the extreme, @BigGreenCraig.  I guess I went crazy with the kosher salt because these filets were just way too salty.

I learned my lesson by ruining $100 worth of amazing filets!  Next time, I'll be more careful!
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Unfortunately, I think that I took your recommendation to "coat your filet with a heavy coating of kosher salt and rub it in. (Don’t forget the sides!)" to the extreme, @BigGreenCraig.  I guess I went crazy with the kosher salt because these filets were just way too salty.

I learned my lesson by ruining $100 worth of amazing filets!  Next time, I'll be more careful!
    Been there, done that ;)

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf