Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bubbles over Vents?

Options
On all of my long brisket/butt cooks, I've been using a drip pan with liquid (often apple juice, depends on what I'm doing) sitting on the plate setter. Besides catching the drippings and keeping the inside of the egg moist, I use the mixture of the juice in the pan and the drippings as the base for a pretty legit sauce that I serve along with the meat.

I've noticed that the steam from the liquid in the drip pan collects on the chimney cap, and sometimes forms a bubble over the air vent. In some cases, the bubble seems to disrupt the air flow and the temp starts to drop in the dome. It's not a big deal if I'm keeping tabs on the cook because I can just pop the bubble and wipe the moisture off the cap, but it's a problem if I'm doing a "set it and forget it" cook. I have a Smokeware chimney cap that I use most of the time, but I've observed this phenomenon with both the stock BGE chimney cap and the aftermarket cap (although it happens more frequently with the stock cap).

Anyone else observed this? Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do to prevent it? Thanks all, hope you enjoy your Saturday!

Comments