Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Go to Trader Joe's, do not pass go & do not collect $200

Options
This is the best thing I has eaten in a very long time. You have got to try it. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    How do you have uncured bacon? Isn't all true bacon, cured?  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I'll be honest, I've tried this and wasn't impressed.  The Trader Joe's bacon jam though, that's fantastic.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I'll give it a go next time I am there. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    If you like jerky, definitely worth a try. I love that Trader Joe's makes all sorts of interesting flavored stuff. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Girl at work gave me some. I liked it. 
    She had brought it home as a souvenir for her boyfriend and he didn't like it 
  • Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    just got one in our area. what do yall recommend that I look at when we go?
    LBGE circa 2016
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I will take a shot at this brother Ski. The nomenclature used is an oxymoron. It is used intentionally to catch buyers attention. The meat used is cut from the belly, however it is brined and jerked instead of cured. So there is an element of truth in their statement no matter how misleading it actually is to the average Joe. With that said, it's just not cured bacon, but it is indeed bacon as you will see in the following paragraph.  
    As to your second question, no, all bacon is not cured. However to be classed as "bacon", it must at a minimum be brined. Be it a wet brine or a dry brine. What they are offering is brined bacon made into jerky. Hope this helps my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    SGH said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    I will take a shot at this brother Ski. The nomenclature used is an oxymoron. It is used intentionally to catch buyers attention. The meat used is cut from the belly, however it is brined and jerked instead of cured. So there is an element of truth in their statement no matter how misleading it actually is to the average Joe. With that said, it's just not cured bacon, but it is indeed bacon as you will see in the following paragraph.  
    As to your second question, no, all bacon is not cured. However to be classed as "bacon", it must at a minimum be brined. Be it a wet brine or a dry brine. What they are offering is brined bacon made into jerky. Hope this helps my friend. 
    Just to add to that, I have also read it is really more if a marketing ploy. They use celery powder or something similar that has nitrites/nitrates...so it really is cured. 

All that aside, I am passing right by TJs today and will be picking up some naturally cured bacon jerky. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    @coul.....a seasonal item to try are the spiced pumpkin seeds....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Coul said:
    just got one in our area. what do yall recommend that I look at when we go?
    Thier pizza dough is good when in a pinch. Each dough ball will make two nice thin crusts or one bigger pizza. I'm also dig their Goddess mustard salad dressing 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    SGH said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    Just to add to that, I have also read it is really more if a marketing ploy. They use celery powder or something similar that has nitrites/nitrates...so it really is cured. 

All that aside, I am passing right by TJs today and will be picking up some naturally cured bacon jerky. 
    This is the truth.  Same nitrates as regular bacon, just applied via celery powder.  Always fun to catch family and friends that claim they can't eat cured bacon because they are allergic or claim a reaction.  Well, they just ate the same chemicals.

It is genius marketing toward people that want to believe so bad and have too much time on their hands to worry about this kind of stuff.  First world "problems".
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX