Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How's my logic for Asian night?

Options
Gonna have 8 or some coming over in a few weeks, and we decided to do Asian-style dinner. I'd appreciate any feedback on how my plan looks. So, here's my plan:

Light the LBGE and get it up to 350F

Entree 1:
Pork Char Siu - start with the marinated pork, direct on the grid near felt level 

Appetizers:
5 Spice Wings  - then, on a raised grid add the dry rubbed with 5 Spice, 350F, and then sauce 'em prior to serving

Pull those two out of the BGE around the same time, then swap out grids for spider and wok and raise the temp to 450F or so. Snack on a wing or two...

Entree 1, part 2:
Stir fry some noodles with sauce, place sliced pork siu on top

Entree 2:
Chicken stir fry - traditional stir fry, aromatics, protein, veg, sauce and serve.

Does this look like a sound plan?

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Apparently my invite is lost in the mail. Please PM start time and address. I can bring beer. 
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Bwaha!  Yeah, I didn't know that was a 5 or a 2 in your zip code...

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Im going to say it--too much. You will be scrambling changing grids etc. do the wings and one entre. If you don't think that is enough grub, do some seared Tuna, or sear off some dumplings. Just my bet, but I will say by the time the wings and Char Sui disappear they will be full'ish. Unless the portions are small and you take your time between courses. Which of course is beautiful and more like a chef tasting. In which case--go for it. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I asked for an Asian Night and got slapped :innocent:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I asked for an Asian Night and got slapped :innocent:

No happy ending for you
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    It does seem a lot, but go for it. My wife complains that when I "go big" I am so involved in the cook that I'm not enjoying the company, but what does she know  :s. I can't help it, I don't want to go "everyday" simple.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    seems like a plan. ive done this for the superbowl, eggs heated up, before the game, charsiu goes on during, off when done, stirfry goes on at half time, grid goes back on to sear terryaki sticks and charsiu. your actually only stepping away from guests for maybe 15 minutes if everything is prepped  ahead of time. this was my first attempt years ago, dont buy store bought charsiu marinade

20ba33adjpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    sounds ambitious but doable

fill the egg really well, and if you spread out the cooks, over the evening, be sure to back the dome temp down between cooks.  don't choke it off, just let it cruise.

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I say go for it. Invite me, and post pics. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Like @fishlessman idea of seared beef teriyaki sticks. They'd compliment the wings and could sub out a entree. 

Please post pics of this meal, sounds great! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Seems doable, tho' it seems you are having a pork entree and a chicken entree, along w. a chicken appetizer is a bit heavy on the chix.

Maybe go for a full lo mein stir fry, and add the pork to that. Start w. the wings appetizer.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Asian night for me is anything with soy sauce.
    I have no skills.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky