Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

oak smoked braised short ribs marsala

Options
bosco0633
bosco0633 Posts: 383
edited September 2016 in EggHead Forum
Well, this was a bit involved but worth all the effort.  I started out with some gorgeous beef side ribs and removed the bones.  

Then I microwaved the bones and browned the meat.  

Sautéed garlic, onion, carrot, thyme, basil, salt and pepper then mixed in some marsala wine, diced tomato, flour, and broth

Set the grill for 250 and smoked with white oak wood and smoked with the lid off for 3 hours.  Then put the lid on the dutch and cooked for another 2 hours at 275. 

removed the beef and thin sliced it and added portobello mushroom and fresh stuffed tortellini

this meat was something tender

I loaded up the plates and garnished with fresh graded parmesan and diced vine tomato

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me brother.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    Mouth is watering. Rib meat makes a wonderful sauce if you spend the time.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Oh my. Bookmarked and placed on to do list. 

Very good looking meal right there. Congrats!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • byrne092
    Options
    Man everything you put out always looks excellent. This got added to the to do list. 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    you can go ahead and overnight me a serving!
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Looks great!!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I've done these on numerous occasions. You're correct in saying that it's an involved cooking process beginning to end. But, what a finale! Wonderful job my friend :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Gosh !!! Fantastic as always..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    Looks awesome!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    looks amazing - great post.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Very very nice!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bosco0633
    Options
    Thanks guys.  This was honestly a great dish.  Can't wait to hit it up again.  May try with rigatoni pasta next time.  Tortellini is a love hate for me 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Awesome, great idea
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • CTegger427
    Options
    Looks amazing! Can we get a recipe? =)
  • bosco0633
    Options
    sure, I adapted this recipe from another recipe.  I added and removed some things to more my liking.  Here is what I did

3 to 5 beef short ribs, depending on how big your dutch oven is.  I used a 7 quart so I went with 5 bones.  This is a very large portion so you can cut it down in half if you want to cook a smaller amount.

Ingredients 

2 Tbsp EVOO 

4 garlic cloves diced

2 onions chopped

2 carrots chopped 

1 Tbsp thyme

2 Tbsp basil

salt and pepper to taste

6 Tbsp of flour

4 cups of marsala wine

4 tsp of balsamic vinegar

4 cups of chicken broth

2 cans of diced Tomato (drained)

4 bay leaves

4 portobello mushroom, remove gills and cut into slices

1 cup heavy cream (I did not use)

2-4 Fresh Vine Tomato (diced for garnish)

Tortellini 2 packs or if you make your own approx 40 oz. 

Basically, I removed the meat from the bones and then microwaved the bones.  You can skip this step, but I have read that marrow heated up adds some great flavour.  If you don’t microwave just put them to the side and add them to the dish later.

Brown the meat with the oil in the dutch.  get the pot nice and dirty, it helps with the colouring of the sauce.

Remove the meat from the dutch and add a bit more oil and onions, garlic and carrot.  Once softened, mix in the basil and thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.  Then stir in the flour to thicken the mix up.  

Add in the wine and let simmer to reduce the alcohol out of the mix.  It will start getting thick and bubbling. 

Then add the balsamic vinegar and broth and place in your bay leaves.  And finally stir in the drained canned diced tomato.  Then place the bones and meat back into the pot.

Now for me, I wanted this on the BBQ, so I set mine up indirect and smoked with white oak to give it a bit of a stone oven taste.  

I smoked it at 250 for 3 hours with the lid off.  I stirred the mix often and noticed that the meat exposed was colouring, indicating it was taking the smoke!   Then I covered the lid and cooked it at 275 for 2 hours.  

Removed from the grill and brought in and took out bones and meat.  Thin sliced the meat and placed back into the mix.  Added my mushrooms at this point and boiled the tortellini.  

Then placed the tortellini into the mix.

Plated the mix and garnished with fresh grated parmesan and diced tomato.  I also like a bit of heat so added my garden dried italian red hot peppers that I dehydrated last year.  

• CTegger427
    Options
    Thank you so much! It is on the schedule to make this weekend
  • NoJokeSmoke
    Options
    Wow! that is amazing! @eggobsessed sent me the link and said that I had to check it out.  This will be a cook that we'll try soon. Thanks for sharing!