Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Time Sirloin Cap

Options
Picked up a Sirloin Cap at WF this weekend.  It looked great... marbled and striated like a skirt steak but much thicker and beefy.  I marinated it in a mix of teriyaki, olive oil, brown sugar, salt, pepper, onion powder, cayenne, and smoked paprika.  Cooked it raised direct at 450 and then put it down on the flames once it got to 115.  Finished at about 125 and let it rest.  Very tasty and flavorful.  Agree with previous posts... a little chewier than a skirt steak but still very good.  Cut it into strips and served over a simple salad.  

I also bought a precooked soft shelled crab and made a chipotle/adobe dipping sauce.  

South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)

Comments

• pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options
    Nice cook.  I need to do a sirloin cap.  

One thought on the chewyness might be the direction of the cut.  Looks from the picture like you cut with the grain rather then across.

I will let the experts weigh in.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    I can't wait for dinner now!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    it's only chewier because you sliced it with the grain. turn it 90 degrees and slice the other way. They are way more tender than skirt when sliced against the grain. Try it again and you 'll see what I mean. This is our go-to cut of steak for normal meals.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TheBrewerMoose
    Options

^^^ agree with the cut comments...

LOVE YOUR BEER CHOICE!  As you can see from the handle, I brew.  Lots.  I've made my version of that very beer and it goes great with seafood and steak!

Strongsville, OH

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    So next would you do a skirt or would you do the sirloin cap again? Agree with @The Cen-Tex Smoker advice of slice against the grain
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX