Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cabelas now carrying....

PK grills.  I know some people here already have this. For those that do ,how do you like it (the grill that is) ?
 I've been wanting one for as long as I've wanted my egg.. Yes the egg came 1st.

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I have one, it's main shortcoming is the nickel coated cooking grid. It will rust no matter how you care for it.
    PK now has a stainless cooking grid on their website available as an upgrade accessory.
    I recommend anyone with a PK look into getting the stainless grid.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    In the pics on their web site, it looks like a rectangular Weber kettle to me, though I've never even seen one in person. Barely heard of one for that matter. Does the cast AL body make enough difference in performance to more than double the price? Same 10 year warranty.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I've got my search set, and have been waiting for for one to come up on CL forever.  
    Phoenix 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    In the pics on their web site, it looks like a rectangular Weber kettle to me, though I've never even seen one in person. Barely heard of one for that matter. Does the cast AL body make enough difference in performance to more than double the price? Same 10 year warranty.
    I don't know how much better if any it is than a Weber Kettle.
    I does have a good heavy casting and the aluminum doesn't rust.

I really doubt it cooks better than the kettle. It's been a long time since I owned a kettle, and the one I have owned was a really inexpensive one in the $20 range.

I think the main draw to the PK is nostalgia. With that being said I do use mine at least once a week. It's great for dogs and burgers. And as an added bonus, I don't feel cheap and dirty using Kingsford briquette charcoal in it.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Main thing coming to Cabella's is Bass Pro Shop name lol......
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    i was always a fan of cabela's - sad to see it go
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Funny, I was just in Montana fishing and the cabin we stayed at had one.  They said it's been there for decades.  I liked it much better than a kettle.  Not a hint of runt on her. 
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Overall, have always preferred Cabela's over BPS.  Even prefer Scheels before BPS.
    B-line it straight back to the bargain cave, have gotten some great deals.  This blows. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Focker said:
    Overall, have always preferred Cabela's over BPS.  Even prefer Scheels before BPS.
    B-line it straight back to the bargain cave, have gotten some great deals.  This blows. 
    Grew up in Omaha and remember going to the original Cabelas that was a true warehouse type store. Sample fishing lures stapled to the racks in front of the boxes.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

At the first house my wife and I ever rented together, I found an old PK grill in the backyard, abandoned, on its side, half buried and covered in leaves and dirt. I pulled it out, took it to a car wash and sprayed the heck out of it. Tightened up the bolts, replaced some and cooked on it for awhile. Enjoyed it a lot. Thought of taking it with me when I moved, but ended up leaving it for the next renter in better condition than I found it. Thought about getting one on and off but the price always deters me. Had I known then what I do now, I probably would have taken it. I'll see if I can find any pictures.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    $369 is quite a bit of money, wanted one for the longest time ... gonna keep an eye on CL and or yard sales, maybe I'll get lucky.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Might get interesting since they were acquired by Bass Pro. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• I'm optimistic that BPS is savvy enough to let Cabela's be Cabela's. One doesn't pay $5.5Billion to piss away the goodwill and customer base they're buying. Then again, we've witnessed how many bubbles and stupid sh*t in the past couple of decades that never cease to amaze us?

Time will tell.

Remember Gander Mountain? Cabela's bought their online business a number of years ago and Gander Mountain is still alive and kicking here in the upper midwest *and* still has an online store.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I see this just as another acquisition deal.  Reduce the competition and than figure out how to improve the bottom-line.  Cut-throat business and that's the way it works.  But I'm no investment banker-just have felt the "good deals" after many of these over the years.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    PK is built too well. I have no idea how they stay in business, they are indestructible. A weber will wear out, the PK is pretty much forever, except for the grids. Reminds me of the Tatung rice cooker from Taiwan, had one given to us by a friend who is still cooking in one she had in college - that was 25 years ago. Great product. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    I'm optimistic that BPS is savvy enough to let Cabela's be Cabela's. One doesn't pay $5.5Billion to piss away the goodwill and customer base they're buying. Then again, we've witnessed how many bubbles and stupid sh*t in the past couple of decades that never cease to amaze us?

Time will tell.

Remember Gander Mountain? Cabela's bought their online business a number of years ago and Gander Mountain is still alive and kicking here in the upper midwest *and* still has an online store.
    One can only hope they let it be, but I highly doubt it.  Gander is the weakest out of them all.   Although they did sell me a Magpul AFG2 that was on the wrong hook, mgr honored the discounted price.  Didn't think they would.

We've got one here in Davenport.  Prices are on the higher end.  I don't hate it.  Not really impressed is all.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• PK is built too well. I have no idea how they stay in business, they are indestructible. A weber will wear out, the PK is pretty much forever, except for the grids. Reminds me of the Tatung rice cooker from Taiwan, had one given to us by a friend who is still cooking in one she had in college - that was 25 years ago. Great product. 
    I think they have recently (past year) introduced a SS grid as an upgrade. Now the bulletproof factor increased some more!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Morris is not going to change the Cabelas brand. It's strength has always been hunting and BPS is fishing.  They are a good fit. 
    Dave - Austin, TX