Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Way to Cook Different Doneness on Steaks

Options
I've been using my XL BGE for a few weeks now and love it. I haven't tried steaks yet but tonight might be the night. Thinking of getting four bone in ribeyes from the butcher. The wife, MIL and son all like theirs well done but I like mine just on the other side of medium. I've been able to manage that over the years on my gasser by moving mine to the top rack while the others are on the main grill and that worked well. However, doing them quickly at around 600-650 on the egg won't work that way. What's the best way to do this? ( I know - tell them not to eat shoe leather).  :) That's not going to work. Can I get my steak at say a little over an inch thick and theirs around 3/4 of an inch and cook for the same time? Just looking for the best way to cook them all at once instead of doing in two batches. What suggestion would you have for cooking time? I've seen lots of different recommendations on here and the BGE recipe site. Just don't want to ruin the first run at the steaks. I know it's a process that I'll tweak and refine for myself over time but looking for a good starting place so I don't have one under done and the rest too done.

Thanks! Jamie.
XL BGE & Pit Barrel Cooker
OFallon, MO

Comments

• tikigriller
    Options

Put the Well Done desired steaks on first...towards the hinge side of the grill which is the natural hot spot, and then add yours a little later, thus creating the same "pull out" time.

That would be how this rookie would handle it anyways!

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • abpgwolf
    Options
    The best (and IMHO the only) way to accurately determine the doneness of a streak is with a good instant read thermometer. The Thermapen is the gold standard.

More importantly it is the only way to tell if your food has reached a safe serving temperature. My Thermapen has improved my cooking more than any other BGE accessory.      

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options
    I agree, I usually do reverse search and put my wife's on about 10 min before mine.  They end up getting seared at the end at the same time.  The delay will just depends on what temp and the difference in doneness.  I check hers when it goes on, and try to give her a 15 degree IT headstart.

• tikigriller
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    The best (and IMHO the only) way to accurately determine the doneness of a streak is with a good instant read thermometer. The Thermapen is the gold standard.

More importantly it is the only way to tell if your food has reached a safe serving temperature. My Thermapen has improved my cooking more than any other BGE accessory.      
    I could not agree with this more!  Cooking with temp knowledge for me has been a HUGE change!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
     If you're doing 1 inch thick steaks  let them warm up for half an hour to an hour before cooking. For medium rare, I'd have the dome temp at 550 to 600° I would Sear yours three minutes per side ( internal temp should be around 135 140° ) I would sear everyone else's four minutes per side, that should put you in the  ballpark use a meat thermometer if they like theres well done you'll want to be at 155 to 160° it's only a few minutes difference when cooking hot and fast :-) 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Demonstrate MR is simply better  ;)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    If you're going to do a two minute rotate two minute flip Id throw your steak on at the first rotation.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    As others have said, give the WD steaks a head start. Remember you can also pull them off to rest if your MR is not done quite yet. (or can even pull the MR off for a minute or two and then put back on if you find it is cooking to quick).

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• SemolinaPilchard
    SemolinaPilchard Posts: 1,282
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Steaks benefit from the hot tub method. It helps to give you the doneness level you like through more of the steak. You have the steak in a sealed bag soaking in 100 degree water for 1 hour before cooking. Say that you like your steak rare. When cooked, you cut the steak and look at a cross section, you only have a very small section done like you want. When you hot tub, much more of the cross section is how you like it. Of course, using the methods shortens the time needed on the egg. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I would reverse sear all of them and use a remote thermometer. Cook at 275 to start. Measure your steak to start off and switch the thermometer to another steak when you hit medium and pull your steak. Then pull theirs around med-well. They will carryover in the rest. Tent the steaks and crank up the heat for the sear. 30 seconds per side until it looks how you want. All steaks cooked to taste and all served at the same time. Cook takes longer, but the steaks come out perfect.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    For consistency's sake (and max cross section), you can't beat @SemolinaPilchard's recommendation

if you do the same thing each time, you can time it pretty easily

i would agree with those that say to get a thermometer too. But get used to feel. A rare steak is different than a well done one. And you'll get used to it fairly quickly
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    I would reverse sear all of them and use a remote thermometer. Cook at 275 to start. Measure your steak to start off and switch the thermometer to another steak when you hit medium and pull your steak. Then pull theirs around med-well. They will carryover in the rest. Tent the steaks and crank up the heat for the sear. 30 seconds per side until it looks how you want. All steaks cooked to taste and all served at the same time. Cook takes longer, but the steaks come out perfect.
    Reverse sear works great for thicker steaks.  I am not convinced it is worth the effort for steaks only 3/4" thick (which is what the OP is asking about).  Also what is to be gained by reverse sear when cooking a well done steak?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    I have 'em gather 'round the egg, each with their own set of tongs, and cook away!
    Only one to blame for a bad steak is standing in the mirror! B)

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    For consistency's sake (and max cross section), you can't beat @SemolinaPilchard's recommendation

if you do the same thing each time, you can time it pretty easily

i would agree with those that say to get a thermometer too. But get used to feel. A rare steak is different than a well done one. And you'll get used to it fairly quickly
    steaks and chops are really about the only thing i cook to feel. I think that once you understand what the particular doneness feels like, its actually more accurate than a thermometer because it eliminates the human error of thermo placement. fwiw
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    pgprescott said:

human error of thermo placement. fwiw
    Chris (natureboy) used to advise that error can be eliminated by inserting the thermapen probe perpindicuar to the surface, amd watching the temps as you go in

it will start hot, drop as you move to center, and the rise again as you start to come out the other side. Back it off a bit to the coldest reading

seems obvious, but i know many will temp a steak by going in horizontal at what they think is center. Or will hit bone, etc. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• pgprescott
    Options
    pgprescott said:

Chris (natureboy) used to advise that error can be eliminated by inserting the thermapen probe perpindicuar to the surface, amd watching the temps as you go in

it will start hot, drop as you move to center, and the rise again as you start to come out the other side. Back it off a bit to the coldest reading

seems obvious, but i know many will temp a steak by going in horizontal at what they think is center. Or will hit bone, etc. 
    To each their own. Definitely temp them until you are familiar with the feel. Once you get a feel for the temps, it's infinitely quicker and easier to just poke em. IMO. I'm not a thermo denier. I do trust my feel even more than my Thermapens.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    While I do one a Thermapen, I normally don't use it while cooking steaks. The method below was how i leaned in the restaurant business way back when. I still use it today ....some here will take exception to the method.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8YQX-QgbXc
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I temp everything, bacon(make sure to hit one of the meat ribbons for accuracy), cured and smoked sausage...everything. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    pgprescott said:

To each their own. Definitely temp them until you are familiar with the feel. Once you get a feel for the temps, it's infinitely quicker and easier to just poke em. IMO. I'm not a thermo denier. I do trust my feel even more than my Thermapens.
    i was just relating what someone offered to help newbies when temping.

i use touch too most of the time

• pgprescott
    Options
    pgprescott said:

i was just relating what someone offered to help newbies when temping.

i use touch too most of the time
    I got it. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. Sorry. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

While I do one a Thermapen, I normally don't use it while cooking steaks. The method below was how i leaned in the restaurant business way back when. I still use it today ....some here will take exception to the method.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8YQX-QgbXc
    Precisely!
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Reverse sear works great for thicker steaks.  I am not convinced it is worth the effort for steaks only 3/4" thick (which is what the OP is asking about).  Also what is to be gained by reverse sear when cooking a well done steak?
    Reverse Sear works fine on a 3/4" steak. The gain of doing it on a well-done steak is to not overcook it and all the steaks are done to taste all at the same time, which is what the OP asked about.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.