Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cross One Off- Finally did a tomahawk

Options
Not sure I'd do this again if just me and my fiance but it still got devoured, in spite of her protests that she "really doesn't like steak that much." Opted for reverse sear.

2.7#, seasoned and waiting

Pulled at 105 dF

After sear at 600 dF (need new grate, not happy with this)

Sliced and mid meal

Apologies of pictures are out of order. Good a good deal on this prime at Costco but would really rather do this for another hardcore carnivore.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    She likes steak now. And you may not get her to like any lesser steak. This may have been a very expensive mis-steak. 

But if you're looking for some carnivore buddies so you can do it again I'm sure a bunch of us would be happy to volunteer. That steak looks perfect. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Looks good!  I had to chop the bone on my last few ones with a metal saw because the bones were too long...

@Foghorn - I think she's finally starting to come around
    @paqman - bone on this wasn't bad at all, fit easily on LBGE and was actually bought with intent of using it on MBGE, as it fit there as well. I've been consistently impressed with my meat purchases from Costco.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Get the fire closer to the meat. Fill the lump all the way to the top of the fire ring. Otherwise, make sure the meat surface is totally dry. I get perfect Sears with a stock grid.
  • Two_Down
    Options
    @Eggcelsior I'll keep that in mind for next time. In hindsight, I was so preoccupied with not screwing up a good piece of meat that I forgot to pat the surface dry. 

I was also a bit lazy and didn't feel like reloading new lump and waiting for VOCs to burn off and used a fairly small load of lump.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS