Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How horrible would you feel?

Options
Just take a moment to think about how you clean your grates.  I know how horrible I would feel if this was my child.

http://www.littlethings.com/bbq-brush-bristle-throat/?utm_source=nation&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=health
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

Comments

• JacksDad
    Options

Saw the other thread on this last week. Just threw away my bristle brush this morning because of this...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    JacksDad said:

Saw the other thread on this last week. Just threw away my bristle brush this morning because of this...

I just did the same thing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Same here, bought a stone to try.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    well I just cleaned mine and saw this.  I am trowing mine away and going back out to make sure I am all good.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• miniscus
    Options
    A good lesson to remember!
    Bill
    Ft worth, TX

"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes, but he who never asks a question is a fool forever."

-Dr. D. Tartar
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Since this very warning gets kicked around regularly you can either buy an expensive wood one or make a cheap one yourself like mine.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    PSA
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    RRP said:
    Since this very warning gets kicked around regularly you can either buy an expensive wood one or make a cheap one yourself like mine.

I've seen these but never knew anyone who had one to know if it's any good.   So you're pleased?   I use the brushes with round wires but those come out pretty easily too.

--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

I've seen these but never knew anyone who had one to know if it's any good.   So you're pleased?   I use the brushes with round wires but those come out pretty easily too.

Sure it works! In my case when it wears down which I'm sure it will then I'll just saw the end off and drill 3 new holes. The principle is merely scraping the wood against the wire rod.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I'm not going to give up my brush, but I will give extra attention to inspect the grid before cooking. Wiping over the surface with a clean cloth will make sure it's bristle free.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RRP said:
    Sure it works! In my case when it wears down which I'm sure it will then I'll just saw the end off and drill 3 new holes. The principle is merely scraping the wood against the wire rod.
    I think the store bought ones are just squared off boards (no notches) because they are sold to folks with grids of all different wire diameters and spacing. The idea is to scrape your grid with the "blank" board until you wear notches in it that match your grid wires. No measuring or drilling required. I know you drilled because you enjoy the precision of measuring, marking and drilling. =) When it wears too much, just cut off part of the board leaving just a bit of the notch. No more drilling. :)

I just use foil. Or nothing.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options

I think the store bought ones are just squared off boards (no notches) because they are sold to folks with grids of all different wire diameters and spacing. The idea is to scrape your grid with the "blank" board until you wear notches in it that match your grid wires. 
    Oh I agree, but when you make your own why not do it with the right spacing to start with?
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I switched to wood a few months ago, it works well.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    PSA
    Not the perfect test, but keep it under 4 or so.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    RRP said:
    Oh I agree, but when you make your own why not do it with the right spacing to start with?
    Because "burning" the grooves in on a hot grid is so much more precise!  The down side is that I need two boards 'cuz I've got the OEM grid and a number of CGS grids.

I like the stainless steel SOS style brushes.  BGE sells one, so does Charcoal Companion (on Amazon) ... with both you're able to change out the SS brush.  Here's another example from Ace Hardware:

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Looks an awful lot like the Nextgrill cheapie sold at HD. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    A wadded up ball of aluminum foil on a heated grate works wonders.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    She can come and clean my grill anytime...

And why didn't they throw out the gasser too??

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,514
    edited September 2016
    Options

I use naked wire pot scrubber with my bare hand when the grid is hot before or after cooking, just like the above minus the plastic holder/handle  =)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,514
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Not sure how much safer it is, I heard brush with bristles secured by twisted wires is less likely to lose bristles like those with bristles embedded in plastic that softens/melts...

canuckland
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Been using the Weber triangular ones above for over a decade, zero issues.  If I do, there are a few surgeons who could bail me out.  All grates get a paper towel oil or Pam treatment before use.  On occasion, even drop the head in fire to melt the gunk out of the bristles to extend life.

IMO, if you buy a cheap a$$ dollar store grill brush, expect it to fall apart.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• clemsontyger97
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I tried those once and liked them but if you grill more than a couple of times per week like I do you'll pay more for those things than you do your grill and food.   I found that they were used up way too quickly.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    My grate cleaner!she also does dishes and cleans up any food dropped on the floor. And as a bonus no need for napkins, she will clean your face for you!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"