Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I earned these brats.....

Options
Earlier this year I turned 45 and was the heaviest I've ever weighed so I decided it was time for a change.  Among eating better and drinking less I decided to get more exercise.  I've been into biking since I was a teen but my current ride was 17 years old and needed an upgrade.  I decided to bite the bullet and get a new bike, a Cervelo R3, and promised myself that I'd ride it routinely this spring / summer and get in shape enough that I could ride the century ride that I did 15 years ago.  So I did.  1,862 miles and 21 pounds later it was finally time for the big ride.  Yesterday was the Sunrise Century in Clarksville, TN and I nailed it!  102 miles at an average of 19.98 MPH.  That's a full 2 MPH average faster than my 30 year-old self!

Honestly I was too pooped yesterday evening grill out, but today's lunch was some nice fat juicy smoked brats with beer-sauteed onions.  Awesome!  

Smoking the brats @250* with some apple wood.

Topped with grilled onions and mustard.

Please can I have one?!?

--Brad
Franklin, TN
Large BGE+PSWoo2

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Congratulations on the life style change and the ride achievement.. Your brats look fantastic. Your pup brought a tear to my eye, that is a mirror image of my dog I put down last month.. Great post and well done sir.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    How long of a cook was it? I usually just grill em hot and fast on my weber, I'm intrigued! 

Good job on the weight loss!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Congratulations....lifestyle changes at our age aren't easy - that's for sure. 

One question....do you dress like Lance Armstrong when you ride? I'm not a biking guy but I never have understood why folks can't seem to ride nowadays without head to toe spandex. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • wbradking
    Options
    @johnmitchell We've had Otto, a Cavapoo, just since the end of July.  He's our first dog and has been an awesome addition to the family.  I don't even think of what its going to be like without him.

@Hans61 They were on until 160* internal, about 45 minutes.  I normally do brats in an onion and beer bath and then grill to crisp up, but apparently that's not how they should be done.  Check out this link here.  Look for the comments from @Huntnfish72 @XC242 and @Darby_Crenshaw about no beer bath, and internal temp and smoking them.  There was a much better snap with the brats done this way and the smoke taste was great.

@GATraveller  Yep, full-on cycling outfit.  The cycling shorts have built in pads in strategic areas so they do come in handy.  The jerseys have pockets in the back to carry snacks, enery gells, etc... and are easy to access.  Everything is tight fitting to improve aerodynamics. 80% of your energy in cycling is to overcome wind resistance so anything you do there really helps, especially on long rides.  That's why you see most cyclists riding bunched up in a group.  The person on the front work a lot harder than everyone behind him.  When he gets tired, he'll peel off to the back and the next person in line leads until he gets tired an so on.  The group as a whole can ride much faster than the individuals on their own.

Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    wbradking said:
    @johnmitchell We've had Otto, a Cavapoo, just since the end of July.  He's our first dog and has been an awesome addition to the family.  I don't even think of what its going to be like without him.

@Hans61 They were on until 160* internal, about 45 minutes.  I normally do brats in an onion and beer bath and then grill to crisp up, but apparently that's not how they should be done.  Check out this link here.  Look for the comments from @Huntnfish72 @XC242 and @Darby_Crenshaw about no beer bath, and internal temp and smoking them.  There was a much better snap with the brats done this way and the smoke taste was great.

@GATraveller  Yep, full-on cycling outfit.  The cycling shorts have built in pads in strategic areas so they do come in handy.  The jerseys have pockets in the back to carry snacks, enery gells, etc... and are easy to access.  Everything is tight fitting to improve aerodynamics. 80% of your energy in cycling is to overcome wind resistance so anything you do there really helps, especially on long rides.  That's why you see most cyclists riding bunched up in a group.  The person on the front work a lot harder than everyone behind him.  When he gets tired, he'll peel off to the back and the next person in line leads until he gets tired an so on.  The group as a whole can ride much faster than the individuals on their own.

I'll check those out much respect for opinions of those mentioned above! Thanks for sharing! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    That's a helluva bike ride. Congrats, and the brats look great!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Great brats. And well-deserved. Congrats. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Congrats!!! Brats look awesome and I am sure tasted spectacular to you!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Good for you man. I couldn't imagine those brats being any better, onions and mustard, yes please!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Congrats across the board.  Way to get on it and stay after it.  You are good for better than a case of beer-I go with 150 cals/beer so sit back relax and enjoy a few adult cold ones.
    Seriously, great self-motivation and execution.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Way to go Brad! You don't by any chance have family in the scrap metal recycling business do you? Your name seems so familiar to me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GATraveller
    Options
    And the more you know........
    Thanks for enlightening the ignorant.  =)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • wbradking
    Options
    @lousubcap   Already started my friend.  A beautiful day like today deserves a few coldies.

@johnkitchens Sorry, no metal recycling business in my family.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • NonaScott
    Options
    Great accomplishment. I love it when someone sees a commitment through like that. Enjoy those brats. You definitely earned them. Congratulations 
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    wbradking said:
    @lousubcap   Already started my friend.  A beautiful day like today deserves a few coldies.

@johnkitchens Sorry, no metal recycling business in my family.
    Different guy. My memory is getting foggy, but I know I dealt with a guy named Brad King 20 years ago. Cute dog! 

• wbradking
    Options
    @johnkitchens there was a Brad King here in Nashville several years ago that liked to borrow money from some unsavory characters and not pay them back.  I got some late night calls on a few occasions kindly requesting that I pay up.  I hope you weren't dealing with that guy.  :o
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @wbradking thankfully that wasn't the guy. I bet that was not fun for you trying to explain to people that you were not the same guy! 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Congrats....and well deserved.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Great work all around. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    A fresh brat off the grill is one of life's simple, but great, pleasures.
    Stillwater, MN