Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bbq gloves

Options
What gloves do you all use when you bbq. Found out the hard way that the pair I had for years has a hole in the thumb. They were a good pair of heavy rubber gloves we used where I used to work so I can't get another pair of them. I'll be sitting here sucking on a sore thumb waiting for answers. Thanks.

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    A few pairs of Kevlar foundry gloves for pulling hot platesetter, stones, CI when seasoning.

A few pairs of HD Welder's gloves for handling chimney starter, kbq fire management.

1 pair BGE pit mits for vessel handling and dexterity.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• OhioEgger
    Options
    Generally, I use a pair of leather welder's gloves, and they have been great for years. They don't look too good any more, but still work perfectly. Shown on the left.

However, and I'm slightly embarrassed to admit this, I have a "nice" pair of welding gloves I use when company is over (on the right). Just shows that many of us can still give in to a touch of vanity.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Are you talking about rubber gloves to pull BBQ?

i use these and they are fine- insulative enough and have decent dexterity. 

Plus us they are cheap so I replace after I end up getting grease on the inside. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007ZGURK/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473020725&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=rubber+bbq+gloves&dpPl=1&dpID=41kXPcbSusL&ref=plSrch
    Greensboro, NC
  • Chef Boy RC
    Options
    Yes, I was looking for something to handle the hot butts when taking off of the egg and for use when shredding the bbq. The gloves you put the link to look more like gloves to handle hot grates and plate setters and such. Do you use these for the meat.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    I have a "nice" pair of welding gloves I use when company is over 

I haven't laughed this hard in a while!  ^ Best statement ever! ^

Only on this forum would someone have "company's coming" welding gloves. 

Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm pretty anal when it comes to pulling my pork.  Nothing is worse than getting a vein or chomping down on a nice piece of gristle.  I've been told I have asbestos hands, burned so many times I've lost count.  I will take the metal claws and open up the shoulder to cool for a minute, and start pickin hot with disposable gloves.  I have a pair of insulated rubber bbq gloves that collect dust.  Did not like the loss of feel, dexterity.  Lately I' ve been chopping with heavy cleavers in a chop box, much easier. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    @Focker you pull your own pork?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI