Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About to try a pork butt tomorrow

Options
I'd like to try a pork shoulder/butt tomorrow for pulled pork sandwiches

I picked one up from Costco today, 12 pounds.  We want to eat around 5, so just trying to get a sense when to put it on.  Would 8 hours be enough time?  Or would it help to cut it into a pair of 6 pound pieces?

Comments

• PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    If you are planning to run your cook in the 250* range then you should plan on 1 1/2 hours per pound. So....I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but you're looking at more like 18 hours if you want to go "low & slow." But, there are true believers in the "Turbo Cook" process where you run the BGE in the 350+ range and it takes your cook time down to the 1 hour a pound range - or less.

Temp is more important than time. If you are going to let it rest in a cooler then pull it around 185* internal temp......if you're going to rest on ac counter top than pull it at 190*. 

Most importantly, remember that you're not making a soufflé. There are few foods in the world more forgiving than pork shoulder. If you go over 210* it may start to become mushy......if you are under 185* you may have to chop rather than pull. But, everything in the middle works. 

Good Luck! Let is know how it goes and be sure to post pictures! 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    PS: yes, on the cutting it in half idea! Not only will you reduce your cook time but you will also add to your bark coverage. Thats a good thing. 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Don't cut it. I like to cook mine at 275-300. If times an issue wrap or put in aluminum pan and cover with foil after 3 hrs of smoke. Wrapping will cut a lot of time. Bark won't be as good that way though.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I just did a turbo cook today. 
    Two 8 lb butts. Put on 830 am. Running at 350. One was done at 1pm and the other one done at 2.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • wdfwguy
    Options
    Well, once I opened the package it was already separated into two equal pieces
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I was about to say it's two. ;)

I did two 6 pounders in July at about 300 and they were done in about 5 hours and then tfc for about 4 hours. So if they're done earlier than you need there's ways to keep them warm. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • wdfwguy
    Options
    I've got them on the egg at 280 right now, trying to get the temp up a little

I'll check the internal temp and wrap them in foil when they're at 165
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Don't pull at a certain temp though. When the bones wiggling or u can put a temp probe in with little or no resistance is when it's done.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Odds are they are boneless-if that's the case go by feel-probes like buttah and you are there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • wdfwguy
    Options
    The temp probe goes in pretty effortlessly and they both are about 190-195

Pull them and let them sit?
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's hard to describe the feeling other than to say you'll figure it out for yourself, but to me it comes down to if you're not really sure, it probably means it's probably not quite there. To me "pretty effortlessly" does not necessarily mean "like butter". When it's done, it will practically suck the thermometer in.
    Stillwater, MN
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    wdfwguy said:
    The temp probe goes in pretty effortlessly and they both are about 190-195

Pull them and let them sit?
    Yes!! How was it?

Obviously I'm like 6 hours late but temps are just a guide. Feel is what u want and it seems like you felt it.