Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket replacement - how much of an effort?

Options
My egg's nowhere close to needing a gasket replacement but when it does I'm thinking of throwing on braded nomex gaskets . How much of an effort is replacing the gaskets? Doing the stack gasket was kind of a pain in the ass to pick the glue off with my thumb nails.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Not nearly as big a PITA as advertised. The nomex is a popular choice though. Personal preference. I'm still nursing my original on my large @ 12+ years. Not really sure exactly. Needs to be done, but not a big deal. I replaced the primo gasket this year after a clean burn destroyed the old one. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    +1 on @RRP and a rutland.  He'll get you set up with what you need.

In regards to install, I agree with @pgprescott.  It's annoying, but not discouragingly so.  It took me under an hour.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    As the others have said, Rutland is the way to go. Very easy. It was harder to mess with the egg then leave it with no food to cook that night!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I've installed the Nomex on my large and small.   No big deal at all.   The one on my large is 7yrs old and still holding strong.  The small is 4yrs old and doing good as well.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    I recently installed a Rutland that I got from RRP,  he sends very clear instructions, takes a bit of work, but not too bad and I believe very much worth it for the final result. 
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    A few months ago I installed a Nomex from http://smokeware.com
    I was able to install without removing the lid on my Medium Egg.
    Scraped off the old gasket with a putty knife, then cleaned up surface with some acetone (you can also use a pumice stone to clean the surface).  
  • KKorkmaz
    Options
    Is there a need to remover the lid when replacing the gasket? That has always prevented me from doing so in the past...
    Chicago, Illinois
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I did not remove my lid.  I did the Rutland from @RRP

It was fun. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I did not remove my lid.  I did the Rutland from @RRP

It was fun. 

Did you leave the old gasket on the dome or remove it?
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    You need to contact @RRP for a Rutland Gasket, he provides information even before buying from him.  I have his gasket on all 3 of my eggs,  and they are very inexpensive
    You could of ended the thread after this post.  By far the best way to go.

As far as leaving the old gasket on the dome - I left my dome on as well installing the gasket from RRP.  I cleaned the bottom very well per his instructions and installed the gasket.  I half-assed cleaned the top gasket, mainly just got the bigger pieces off with a small scraper.  I have had it about a year now, and it has worked great.  That thick, soft gasket is a better rest for opening and closing the BGE.  

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    KKorkmaz said:
    Is there a need to remover the lid when replacing the gasket? That has always prevented me from doing so in the past…
    No, just a bit harder to scrape off the old gasket.  Wear goggles to prevent getting crap into your eyes.
  • J-dubya
    Options
    KKorkmaz said:
    Is there a need to remover the lid when replacing the gasket? That has always prevented me from doing so in the past...
    I did not remove my lid, but I did remove the old, upper gasket using the grinder/drill attachment recommend by RRP and on the naked whiz.  Worked very well. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    The rutland from RRP is a piece of cake!  By the time I replaced mine, my old gasket came off very easily.  I scraped remnants a bit but didn't go crazy getting it perfectly clean.  The new Rutland?  Wow!  Juuuuuuuuust perfect.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Vegas Eggus
    Options
    IMHO the prep is key. Not near as bad as I thought it would be. The steps I used with success.
    1.  Pull gasket off
    2.  Use single edged razor blade to remove the big portions of glue etc.  
    3.  Use pummis stone (on hand for the pool) to remove the rest of the residue. Did a great job of it by the way. 
    4.  Use acetone to do the final cleaning. 
    5.  Tape/plastic it off to protect the egg and table. 
    6.  Sprayed the 3m 77
    7.  Install the new gasket. 
  • gabriegger
    Options
    As others stated above it is easy to do but why bother at all?  I've gone gasketless for a few years now on the Eggs.  Works just the same without all fuss.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    3m 77:  Not sure the temp rating on that, may be something you want to keep in mind.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • J-dubya
    Options
    As others stated above it is easy to do but why bother at all?  I've gone gasketless for a few years now on the Eggs.  Works just the same without all fuss.
    I like the extra cushion :)   Srs 
  • Vegas Eggus
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    3m 77:  Not sure the temp rating on that, may be something you want to keep in mind.
    It's what the instructions from BGE called for in the replacement kit so hopefully it's ok. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Interesting timing.  I'm sitting in the living room next to my new large.  I won't even cook on it until the Rutland from Ron is installed.

Bottom half removed, just taking a break before doing the top.  I think they are easier to remove when they have never been cooked on, or when they have been fried and are falling off.
    Phoenix 
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    After reading this and ones like it I feel like I am missing out on something if I don't order a Rutland. Think I will order 2 this coming week.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    After reading this and ones like it I feel like I am missing out on something if I don't order a Rutland. Think I will order 2 this coming week.
    2 are not needed unless you own 2 eggs
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    RRP said:
    JMCXL said:
    2 are not needed unless you own 2 eggs
    Got a XL and a MM
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/