Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Help for Egghead

Options
All - I've got some questions about building a new table for my large Egg.

I've read on here that I should stay away from pressure treated lumber. I don't plan on putting any food directly on the top without something under it. Are there other reasons why you wouldn't use pressure treated?

Also, I'm trying to be cautious about the possibility of fire - everything tells me not to put a fire box inside a wooden table; however, I want something that will last/be sturdy/semi-mobile/cheap(er)... But I don't want to burn my house down. I've been thinking about having my egg remain in it's nest (wheels removed) and bolting that assembly inside the table. I've seen a Texas A&M table with that similar setup. Wouldn't that be a little safer than a table nest and a stone? I like that the nest hugs the egg and could provide more support when wheeling the table around. Does anyone have any photo of their nest/table setup?

Lastly - who's ready for college football? What are your favorite tailgate foods for the Egg?
Birmingham, Ala.

Comments

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I wondered about the pressure treated warning myself. No food is going to touch the wood, is there really a problem? If it really is a problem I think that after building the table you could do some tile work on the top, or something else. It may not be stylish, but the easiest thing would be plywood. Even painted it would not last very long if your table is out in the weather (which I imagine the table will be if you are thinking about pressure treated). However, you can store the plywood top when not using the egg. You definitely do not want to set the egg directly on wood. The table will burn. Your idea about using your nest with the wheels removed would work well. Big Green Egg now makes something called a table nest that is a smaller version of a nest without wheels. You say you are worried about burning your house down. Is the egg on a wooden deck, or in your garage? There have been fires with both of those. Are you new to egging?
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

I'm still in the nest with my egg at this time.  I posted a while back about a near disaster with an errant ember that burned a hole in my deck.  Luckily, the deck sits on top of an old concrete slab and it rained pretty damn hard that night, aiding in putting out the smoldering.

The solution will be a new pad being poured next year with a pergola-style cover over top.  There will be lights, a fan, outlets, and speakers.  The egg will be in a table that is structurally attached into the concrete pour.  Why attached?  I'm planning on using some of the fiberglass panels that are used as roofing on barns, coops, etc on the roof and on the westerly facing wall to help with the sun exposure.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I think a table nest on a stone will be fine. That is what a lot of us do. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Does anyone have any photo of their nest/table setup?

Go to nakedwhiz.com, table gallery for tons of pics. Don't let the name scare you off, it is not a NSFW website. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Here is my before and after;

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I don't want to throw a curve ball, but have you considered metal? I'm working on my tables now. I have the nest/table for my XL done and am working on tables for my two L's that will have prep surfaces. If you weld or know someone that does its also not that expensive. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Just want to say I like your profile picture. Manual all the way!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Here's my table build thread: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183296/my-awesome-lbge-table-build-thread/p1

There's also a table picture thread on this site with a LOT of pictures if you want ideas.

Treated wood is very wet. You have to let it dry before you can stain or seal it. I chose to use regular wood and then stain it and seal with several coats of marine varnish. It's been a year and it's holding up nicely.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.