Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time injecting pork butt.

Options
fergi
fergi Posts: 138
I am planning to use FAB-P injection meat enhancer for the first time on my pork shoulder. I normally brine my pork shoulder and was wondering if the injection makes the brine unnecessary. The ingredient list for the injection does not list salt but does list MSG and sodium phosphate as 5th and 6th on the list. I don't have the luxury of a practice cook to find out for myself. All help is appreciated.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You will probably get 10,000 different thoughts and opinions on your question above. With that said, here is one. You most certainly can inject and brine together. More often than not, your injection is not going to be extremely  salt heavy (or it shouldn't be). Injecting right before cooking is used to alter, and/or enhance flavor as well as add moisture. If you like brined butts, and the flavor of your injection, then there is no reason not to use them together. Inject away my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Maybe a naive question, but I am wondering if you forego the rub if you're brining? I am guessing that you would have to to avoid it being overly salty.
  • fergi
    Options
    SGH said:
    You will probably get 10,000 different thoughts and opinions on your question above. With that said, here is one. You most certainly can inject and brine together. More often than not, your injection is not going to be extremely  salt heavy (or it shouldn't be). Injecting right before cooking is used to alter, and/or enhance flavor as well as add moisture. If you like brined butts, and the flavor of your injection, then there is no reason not to use them together. Inject away my friend.  
    Thanks @SGH. Your opinion is always welcome and respected. I will do both and report my result. 

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• fergi
    Options

Maybe a naive question, but I am wondering if you forego the rub if you're brining? I am guessing that you would have to to avoid it being overly salty.
    I always brine and rub and have been pleased with the result. Just wanted to try injection this time. I am cooking for a crowd this weekend and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with brining and injection on the same cook.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    While I haven't injected a pork shoulder, I just dry brined and then rubbed a butt for pulled pork and everyone said it was the best yet. I have to concur.

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    Injecting should take the place of the brine. You are essentially doing the same thing but injecting is much quicker, especially with larger cuts of meat. The injection adds flavor and the phosphates make the meat retain moisture. Add your rub as always prior to smoking.
  • fergi
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    Injecting should take the place of the brine. You are essentially doing the same thing but injecting is much quicker, especially with larger cuts of meat. The injection adds flavor and the phosphates make the meat retain moisture. Add your rub as always prior to smoking.
    Thanks @smokeyw. Thats exactly what I was trying to discover.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Saw one a few days ago where they injected with a Tequila Sunrise......  The wife looked at me and instantly said "YES!"

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!