Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheap AAA Brisket in Ottawa?

Options
Am hosting a large BBQ this Saturday that I am informally referring to as "Noah's BBQ" - We'll be eating two of every animal. Salmon, wings, pork ribs, pulled pork and brisket in addition to many smoked apps are all on the menu.

Am about to purchase a brisket and have found a few local options available in both AA (equivalent to select) and AAA (equivalent to choice) variety. 

Am leaning towards AAA, as the only briskets I've done to date have been AA and they've been just a hair on the tough side. The AAA is $21/Kg ($9.55 CAD/lb). 

Do any locals have suggestions as far as spots to get cheaper AAA brisket?

(I'll mention that I understand that T&T carries AAA brisket for $15/Kg, though I wasn't convinced that the butcher with whom I was speaking was describing their product adequately - e.g., they didn't seem to know the packer came in two pieces, they described their briskets as being roughly 3 Kgs, etc. It's a bit of a hike for me to get there, so I'm hesitant to go without external confirmation.)

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    The only place that I know of where you could get one on such a short notice is premiummeats.ca they have a local pick up option.  Their warehouse is kinda scary.

@paqman: Thanks for the suggestion. I've always seen that site and wondered. Was the meat any good? Was the buying experience okay?
  • paqman
    Options
    Yes and yes.  I can't say for their regular cuts but the brisket, dry aged steaks and short ribs were great.  The owner hand delivered most of the times I ordered.

@paqman: Thanks. I may just go with this option as it is much cheaper than the alternative I was considering.
  • paqman
    Options
    I have a small one in the fridge that I purchased from a local farm for 15$/kg.  I have been letting it age for a few weeks (28 days tomorrow).  My plan is to do smoked meat with it.  I will start the brining process Friday or Saturday (~5 days) and then let it soak 1-2 days and dry age one more week before smoking it.  It is nice and floppy but they removed most of the fat cap. They don't keep stock, you have to reserve in advance.  I think that their next round is in October.

That looks great. $15/Kg is not a bad price either. 

Hate to tell you this, but I don't think that brisket is going to fit in the cocotte in your photo.  :)

I had also been tempted to make smoked mead. Would love to see your finished results.