Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are SRF Steaks a Good Candidate for Sous Vide?

Options
Aside from the edge-to-edge pink you get with sous vide plus a sear, does sous vide enhance SRF steaks in any way? Has anyone tried it?
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I have not cooked an SRF steak, but I would cook the first one according to your tried and true method,  then see what SV adds to it the second time.

SV tenderness is different from the tenderness you get from an all-BGE cook (can't explain the technicalities).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Aside from the edge-to-edge pink you get with sous vide plus a sear, does sous vide enhance SRF steaks in any way...?
    I would think that's enough. Bumper-to-bumper mid-rare is not a bad outcome. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SRF steak would be amazing SV then sear!  Keep close watch on the finish temp.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I assume you are talking about Snake River Farms steak.  http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/

That's a bit above my pay grade but my guess is that any cooking method adds its own peculiarities to meat, or for than matter, anything else.  The trick is to make the cooking method and the meat work together for maximum results.

We know that a fairly good piece of meat can be made better by using the sous vide method in the process.  It stands to reason that even a top grade meat can also benefit from the sous vide process.  

My guess is that by being in a vacuum sealed bag at a precise temperature for a certain length of time does more than just 'heat' the meat, it changes its structure for the better.  But equally important, any flavors added to the bag will combine with the liquids contained in the bag from the meat and completely redistribute itself throughout the meat, thereby giving a more even flavor.

So even if the meat cannot be possibly be made more tender, it can certainly benefit from the better saturation of added flavors.  

And, of course, the 'absolute' control you have over the entire cooking process greatly adds a welcome assurance that you will not over cook the meat.  It also assures a predictable outcome when you want to duplicate the cook in the future.

I say yes.

Spring "Just Saying" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I for one would say no. A properly egged steak has a better flavor than S.V. The benefit of the sous vide I believe is on less fatty cuts. Tenderloin, chicken, pork loin. A good marbled (SRF) or dry aged cut benefits greatly from being egged. I've done side by side. Egg wins. The other big benefit of SV is that the doneness is essentially guaranteed. This is nice when you have multiple steaks or steaks of different size, which is harder to peg perfect on the egg. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    Edge to edge is a big deal, you can't beat SV then sear in CI, IMO, espically for thick steaks.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    SRF Flat Iron Stesk SVed at 110 for 3 hours then 90 seconds a side on a 550 CI, Best Steak I have ever cooked.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE