Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Turn at Bacon!

Options
After some seeing some good bacon posts on here I had to give it a go myself after my local Costco started selling whole bellies. After picking up a 9.5# belly I cut it into thirds and tried the recipes I found on http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/making_bacon_from_scratch.html.The only deviation was that I added puréed Jalapeños to the Maple recipe. 

The cures started last Wednesday and I smoked them with Apple and Cherry at 200F for 3.5 hours (IT of 150F).  They went in the fridge when they were done and then I hand sliced and bagged them this morning. Of course I cooked a few pieces of each flavor to try (baked at 400F on a wire rack for 22 min).  The Regular was great, the Asian was good, but different (I'll have to integrate into some recipes). The Maple Jalapeño was awesome. Could definitely get the Jalapeño but not really spicy. Very good.  I'll definitely be doing this again!

Here's the start of the wet cure:

This is after smoke:

Finally the slicing and sealing:

North Pittsburgh, PA
1 LGE

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    good work! 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice work brother!  Hard to bear homemade Bacon!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Nice work brother!  Hard to bear homemade Bacon!
    Thanks!  Now that I've got one of these under my belt I'm going to have to give that Rosemary Garlic recipe a go.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Nicely done.  You can now cross bacon off the list of things you can buy and like. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    As a side note, your bacon looked so good I bought a belly this morning.  It just goes to show that I am not the only bad influence.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    awesome work man!
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    Amazing! When I get the guts to do bacon, so to speak, it's going to have jalepenos in it!

@chadp Can I ask... How did you slice it?

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• chadpsualum
    Options
    @JacksDad ... I used a knife I got off of Amazon that I use for Brisket (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P0OIBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I took my time just tried to slice as carefully as I could to get consistent thickness on each slice.  The knife does most of the work!
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    First the bacon looks awesome. Secondly, I am amazed by the hand cutting of bacon I see on here. Very consistent. I guess I would have to hold off on the Bloody's to do that myself.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    First the bacon looks awesome. Secondly, I am amazed by the hand cutting of bacon I see on here. Very consistent. I guess I would have to hold off on the Bloody's to do that myself.
    Thanks for the kind words!  It was my first go at it so I will gladly take the compliment!  It's funny you mention Bloody's...I had one after I was done cutting these up (and cooked samples).  The Maple Jalapeno piece in the Bloody was good.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words!  It was my first go at it so I will gladly take the compliment!  It's funny you mention Bloody's...I had one after I was done cutting these up (and cooked samples).  The Maple Jalapeno piece in the Bloody was good.
    Again nice job Chad.....note to self....after cutting the bacon.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Looks great. I just got a couple of whole belly slabs and plan to jump into the middle of this.
    I got the premix cure and some cure #1 salt from Sausage Maker  so I can do one with the premix and then try other recipes.
    I've also never had skin on bacon so I'll do half with and half without this time just to see if it's worth the effort to fillet the skin off the whole thing.
    The biggest difference I think will be the cure times. 5 day for the skin off and 10 days for the skin on slab.