Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed peppers

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
Not a huge fan of green peppers, but enjoy them for this, and supreme pizzas.  Like meatloaf, it takes me back, back to my Ma's stuffed peppers growing up.

Venison, a little chorizo from la monarca super mercado, ernyin, tomaters, roasted garlic, rice, black beans, jalapeno, oaxaca, and chihuahua.

Onto the egg at 375 with a little water in the bottom of the heritage le creuset.  

After 30 min or so, I added more oaxaca and chihuahua.  Maybe another 15 or so.

And the $$$ shot.

Buddy said it was the best stuffed pepper he's ever had.  We really enjoyed the RO flavor brought to the table, courtesy of the egg.

After eating, we commenced on a full tuneup for the Taco.  She purrin' like a kitten now...after that, a cat converter, and an O2 sensor. Lol 

Thanks for lookin'.

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Oh....those peppers look amazing! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Agreed, amazing!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Whoah buddy. Those do look awesome! 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never was a big fan of stuffed peppers, but I could sure be persuaded to eat one of those! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    They look great.  Just picked some myself for something similar. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Peppers look great! Good to hear the taco is still kicking. Probably a little cheaper on gas over the Rado around town
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    @Focker.. They look awesome.. Question. Were any of the ingredients pre cooked ? Once again they look fantastic. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    My,My,My! Those look great, I have a new idea for Saturday. Thanks.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    These look fantastic!  Ya gotta love stuffed bells. Brings back circa 70s nostalgia for me. Still enjoy when my Mother makes them for the family.  I'm certain I could do it but, Mom's have the special ingredient. Love :kiss:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Looks like excellence to me!

Love some stuffed peppers, thanks for the idea, I've only had the frozen, must try this. Thanks for the idea!
  • Focker
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sincere thanks to all for the kind words.

@Focker.. They look awesome.. Question. Were any of the ingredients pre cooked ? Once again they look fantastic. 
    I browned the chorizo and onion in one pan, and the venison quickly in a separate screaming hot pan, maybe two min..shut it down while it was still a little pink in spots.  Everything else listed was not cooked, diced, and added.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited August 2016
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Peppers look great! Good to hear the taco is still kicking. Probably a little cheaper on gas over the Rado around town
    It's been a great truck for $2500 with 85K in 2011, despite all of the sh!t I've thrown at it.  Two wrecks, dents and scratches gallore.  That Aldean song "If My Truck Could Talk" is so true
     Hahaha
    Not ready to pull the plug on her yet at 122K.  The 22RE is just getting broke in!  If I can get maybe 10 more years out of her with no payment, that would be sweet.  Helps keep the miles off of the Chevy.  And it's a nice hunting truck...push 30 mpgs, not bad for a 97.  Ice cold air, great heater.  Roomier than what you would think for this phat phuck.

Did my own frame rust inspection(a huge buyback by Toyota that has expired), still good to go in 2016.  Shocking, no clutch or tranny issues being my first manual.  Could use some new rear brakes at some point, have done the fronts.  The struts are next, they look like swissed cheese rust. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Focker said:
    WeberWho said:
    It's been a great truck for $2500 with 85K in 2011, despite all of the sh!t I've thrown at it.  Two wrecks, dents and scratches gallore.  That Aldean song "If My Truck Could Talk" is so true
     Hahaha
    Not ready to pull the plug on her yet at 122K.  The 22RE is just getting broke in!  If I can get maybe 10 more years out of her with no payment, that would be sweet.  Helps keep the miles off of the Chevy.  And it's a nice hunting truck...push 30 mpgs, not bad for a 97.  Ice cold air, great heater.  Roomier than what you would think for this phat phuck.

Did my own frame rust inspection(a huge buyback by Toyota that has expired), still good to go in 2016.  Shocking, no clutch or tranny issues being my first manual.  Could use some new rear brakes at some point, have done the fronts.  The struts are next, they look like swissed cheese rust. Lol
    @Focker The Tacoma is a young pup yet with only 122k. My previous Ranger went 180,000 miles before the clutch went out. What's nice about replacing a clutch is that it's 1/4 the price of replacing an automatic transmission. The main reason why I've always stayed away from automatic transmissions. My better half just recently switched over to manual when she bought her Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. Plus it's way more fun to drive than an automatic! Unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to find vehicles in manual. My mother-in-law was going to scrap her 2001 Chevy Lumina with 138,000 miles on it. I said no way. She gave us the car and I did some work to it. I patched a leak in the gas tank, replaced the rubber, and put new discs up front. A nice running car that's a beater but keep my fingers crossed with the transmission. Has never slipped or missed gears but being an automatic it's just a matter of time with higher mileage. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    edited August 2016
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Focker said:
    WeberWho said:
     Hahaha

@Focker The Tacoma is a young pup yet with only 122k. My previous Ranger went 180,000 miles before the clutch went out. What's nice about replacing a clutch is that it's 1/4 the price of replacing an automatic transmission. The main reason why I've always stayed away from automatic transmissions. My better half just recently switched over to manual when she bought her Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. Plus it's way more fun to drive than an automatic! Unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to find vehicles in manual. My mother-in-law was going to scrap her 2001 Chevy Lumina with 138,000 miles on it. I said no way. She gave us the car and I did some work to it. I patched a leak in the gas tank, replaced the rubber, and put new discs up front. A nice running car that's a beater but keep my fingers crossed with the transmission. Has never slipped or missed gears but being an automatic it's just a matter of time with higher mileage. 
    Great points V.  I hear ya with the higher mileage.  Beats the hell out of a car/truck payment though.  Laughable, when my buddies tell their 40K plus Tundra payments.  I have no desire to keep up with the Jones' depreciation, but so many guys do.
    Could junk that truck tomorrow, and walk away with a smile, and my $s worth.  Awesome you brought some life into your MIL's ride.  Can't beat free.  B)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Focker said:
    WeberWho said:
    Focker said:
    WeberWho said:
     Hahaha

Great points V.  I hear ya with the higher mileage.  Beats the hell out of a car/truck payment though.  Laughable, when my buddies tell their 40K plus Tundra payments.  I have no desire to keep up with the Jones' depreciation, but so many guys do.
    Could junk that truck tomorrow, and walk away with a smile, and my $s worth.  Awesome you brought some life into your MIL's ride.  Can't beat free.  B)
    I couldn't agree more. My last Ranger was $2600 and I hardly put anything into it other than brakes, rubber, and oil changes. I put 90,000+ miles on it before the timing belt went. (I should have changed it and I knew better but the truck was a beater and probably would have cost more than the truck was worth) My newer ranger has a timing chain instead of the belt. So hopefully this truck sees some mileage as well. Been fortunate and never had a car payment but at the same time I've never had a nice vehicle! =) It doesn't bother me though. Im too cheap and my Ranger gets me to the same place as a 40K new vehicle would get me. 

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hell with the TACO Brandon, I picked up some yellow, orange, and red bells today. Chorizo etc. as well. Now I need the weather to hold out tomorrow. I got ribs and yardbird tonight. Thanks for the inspiration. 
  • Focker
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Focker said:
    WeberWho said:
    Focker said:
    WeberWho said:
     Hahaha

I couldn't agree more. My last Ranger was $2600 and I hardly put anything into it other than brakes, rubber, and oil changes. I put 90,000+ miles on it before the timing belt went. (I should have changed it and I knew better but the truck was a beater and probably would have cost more than the truck was worth) My newer ranger has a timing chain instead of the belt. So hopefully this truck sees some mileage as well. Been fortunate and never had a car payment but at the same time I've never had a nice vehicle! =) It doesn't bother me though. Im too cheap and my Ranger gets me to the same place as a 40K new vehicle would get me. 
    Couldn't agree with you more brother.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Hell with the TACO Brandon, I picked up some yellow, orange, and red bells today. Chorizo etc. as well. Now I need the weather to hold out tomorrow. I got ribs and yardbird tonight. Thanks for the inspiration. 
    Nice!  Those peppers are a lot like meatloaf.  
    The egg takes these simple classics to a whole nuther level IMO.

Ribs sound really good.  Our annual ribfest/river roots music fest is this weekend in Davenport.

Have fun cookin!
    Hope the weather cooperates. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    @WeberWho,
    Kind of weird not seeing the check engine light.  It has been on the entire time and 40K I've owned it. Hahahahahaha
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    Options
    Focker said:
    @WeberWho,
    Kind of weird not seeing the check engine light.  It has been on the entire time and 40K I've owned it. Hahahahahaha
    @Focker The previous owner of my last truck mentioned that it was broken into when working at the prison. Somone pulled out the dome light in the cab and wrecked the wiring. So I went 7-8 years without any lights in the cab. It was annoying at night but became the norm. After getting my newer Ranger I remember thinking, "wow it has an interior light that works!". The simple little things in life. ;)

Minnesota