Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Gloves

Options
looking to get a new pair of BBQ gloves.  Removing the hot heat deflectors, rotating racks, lifting adjustable rig, etc.  

any suggestions?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Skip the welder's gloves and go straight to scilicone rated at least at 450 degrees. Then the other secret is always plan in advance where you will be placing that hot PS.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BGnogin
    BGnogin Posts: 76
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion @RRP  Will be contacting you in a couple of months about a gasket. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I will respectfully disagree with Sir RRP.  Get the welder's gloves. Cheap. Buy a new pair every year.  Silicon is only good up to a certain temp.  I use my silicon gloves to handle really hot meat but I use my welders gloves to handle really HOT grill parts.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I have Orka brand silicone gloves. Leathers gloves that are wet, whether grease or water, conduct heat much too well. Whatever you use, make sure to have a spot picked out close by, and nothing in the way. Pick it up and put it down quickly, especially a plate setter. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    I will respectfully disagree with Sir RRP.  Get the welder's gloves. Cheap. Buy a new pair every year.  Silicon is only good up to a certain temp.  I use my silicon gloves to handle really hot meat but I use my welders gloves to handle really HOT grill parts.  
    I'm gonna disagree with both of y'all.  I've burned myself through welders gloves twice, I wouldn't touch a cake pan with those.

Go with a pair of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Grill-Heat-Aid-Resistant-Light-Weight/dp/B00CHO64NE

I've got a pair with the egg and a pair with my camping supplies and have had no problems with either in 2+ years.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• RRP
    edited August 2016
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    LOL - but as the old saying goes buy silicone once and cry once, but buying a new pair of leather welders gloves every year??? Also when silicone gets filthy they are easily cleaned, but washing leather gloves is not so easy to do. And if you have Fideo in your yard then dirty leather gloves are a tasty target which may not set well with his digestive track meaning an expensive trip to the vet - But, hey, to each his own!
  • RRP
    Options
    Of course if you really want protection then buy a set of these 2,100º steel foundry workers gloves! Trouble is I find them too hard to use and they will end up in that stack of weird stuff my executor will try to sell all the time shaking his head wondering what that old dude bought "those things" for!  =)

• Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Options
    Acn said:
    I'm gonna disagree with both of y'all.  I've burned myself through welders gloves twice, I wouldn't touch a cake pan with those.

Go with a pair of these:

I've got a pair with the egg and a pair with my camping supplies and have had no problems with either in 2+ years.
    I agree, have those same gloves off Amazon and love them. Can't believe how well they work at high temps.... Easy clean and not too bulky. My 2 cents anyways, for what it's worth. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a pair of 1980s vintage welders gloves. Also a silicone mitt (just one) and a pair of nomex gloves. I bought the welders 100 years ago when I used a wood stove for heat and the other two were gifts because someone else apparently thought I needed them. When I need 'em, I need 'em, but that happens so infrequently, I really don't care. They're all good enough, a couple of hot pads would be fine too. I use those as often as not.

Be quick and have a landing spot picked out in advance and a folded up dish towel would be fine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    Acn said:
    JethroVA said:

Go with a pair of these:

COOL! Thanks for the info - 932º is very impressive to say the least! Please tell me how you clean those when they get gross, which handling most HOT items are and impart residual grease etc. I am NOT being a smart *ss - I really want to know!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Acn said:
    JethroVA said:

Go with a pair of these:

I've got a pair of those gloves and they are not really any better than any other glove I've used over the years.

Personally I prefer grill gloves that readily slip on/off. Those won't do that.

Also, you need to be very careful around hot liquids - if you spill anything on your hand it goes right thru the fabric and will burn you.

I do like those gloves for use in my oven tho.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Acn said:
    JethroVA said:

Go with a pair of these:

I've got a pair of those gloves and they are not really any better than any other glove I've used over the years.

Personally I prefer grill gloves that readily slip on/off. Those won't do that.

Also, you need to be very careful around hot liquids - if you spill anything on your hand it goes right thru the fabric and will burn you.

I do like those gloves for use in my oven tho.
    I agree, they are not easy on easy off...and they ARE great around the stove. But, I have to confess, I do use them around the BGE as well. I pop them on for removing grates, platesetters etc. they do work, but do NOT get them wet/moist or you will steam clean your hands to the bone. If you are diligent and don't rush, they will do the job. If you get distracted and handle moist/wet things, well, you will wish you had those fugly welders gloves...
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    These "which gloves should I use" threads always leave me scratching my head.  I use a five dollar set of oven mits and never have a problem.  But then again, I rarely take my egg above 500 and have no desire to grab grill parts when I do.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hub said:
    These "which gloves should I use" threads always leave me scratching my head.  I use a five dollar set of oven mits and never have a problem.  But then again, I rarely take my egg above 500 and have no desire to grab grill parts when I do.
    what he said.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fangenbaum
    Options
    RRP said:
    Skip the welder's gloves and go straight to scilicone rated at least at 450 degrees. Then the other secret is always plan in advance where you will be placing that hot PS.
    I recall when you and I went glove shopping a few years ago
    Hello, from New Orleans!!  
    "Land of pralines, red beans, creole queens & pinball machines."
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    RRP said:
    Of course if you really want protection then buy a set of these 2,100º steel foundry workers gloves! Trouble is I find them too hard to use and they will end up in that stack of weird stuff my executor will try to sell all the time shaking his head wondering what that old dude bought "those things" for!  =)

Love mine!  I'll grab whatever is hot with these bad boys.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    I have tried many different gloves. The absolute best i have found are the BlueFire gloves with nomex and kevlar. Thay are tested and rated above 900 deg. I can easily pick up a screaming hot cast iron pan and carry it into the kitchen. Amazing in my opinion. They are available on Amazon for around $40 and IMO worth every single penny. Great gloves. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Fwiw, here are the two gloves I've settled on.  I've keep a few back ups of each on hand.  As was mentioned above - the welding gloves are easy on and off.  The grey ones are to my liking for pulling the meat.

The welding gloves are on sale right now for just 7.50.  I just ordered another pair when I saw that - I think they are usually around the $13 mark.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MRQAJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZGURK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Phoenix 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Welding gloves are cheap and provide some heat protection.  I keep a pair with my egg and use them for most things.  They do not, however, provide a lot of protection if you need to move really hot items or hold onto anything for more than a brief time.  The food gloves are fine for handling food, but they don't offer very much heat resistance.

My favorite gloves are fire fighting gloves.  They provide very good heat protection and are water proof.  Only issue with them is that they are costly.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

I have had a pair of these for 3 years and they are awesome, I no longer have to know where the hot plate setter is going! The big box stores have a knock off of these and I'm sure they will work just as well. http://biggreenegg.com/product/eggmitt/

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Fangenbaum
    Options
    RRP said:

I think I used mine once, Ron.  I found that they were not only a tough "on and off," but not dextrous enough to allow you to control anything you picked up...hence, too many "Oops!"
  • RRP
    Options
    blasting said:
    Thanks! I just ordered a pair. I've always just used bear claws, but have always wanted to get in with my hands to breakdown the butts to more manageable chunks and thereby work quicker on multiple butts. $12 well spent!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    RRP said:
    blasting said:
    Thanks! I just ordered a pair. I've always just used bear claws, but have always wanted to get in with my hands to breakdown the butts to more manageable chunks and thereby work quicker on multiple butts. $12 well spent!
    I have a pair of these and they are impossible to take off once a little fat/grease gets on them. They are super slick. I used them 2-3 times before they got tossed into the abyss of eggcessories I no longer use. 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    blasting said:
    I have a pair of these and they are impossible to take off once a little fat/grease gets on them. They are super slick. I used them 2-3 times before they got tossed into the abyss of eggcessories I no longer use. 
    Hmmmm, too late for me to back out of the order - guess at $12 I'm better off than those $80 steel foundry workers' gloves I bought and can't use. I wonder - do you have large hands? Why wouldn't leaving the cuff turned back to prevent juice running down your arm make removal a snap? I swear I've seen videos of famous chefs tearing apart butts using those gloves so there must be some trick to using them.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Welding gloves are cheap and provide some heat protection.  I keep a pair with my egg and use them for most things.  They do not, however, provide a lot of protection if you need to move really hot items or hold onto anything for more than a brief time.  The food gloves are fine for handling food, but they don't offer very much heat resistance.

My favorite gloves are fire fighting gloves.  They provide very good heat protection and are water proof.  Only issue with them is that they are costly.

+1 for the firefighting gloves.  Didn't have to buy mine though so it was the cheapest option available.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    RRP said:
    blasting said:

A dry paper towel in one hand used on the finger tips of the other hand makes removal a snap.
    Phoenix 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    edited August 2016
    Options
     Why not just buy a tool to handle the platesetter? Smokeware makes a nice lifting tool. That can be handled for a long time with simple grilling gloves. I have used my Weber silicone gripped high heat woven gloves to move a hot platesetter. Also welding gloves. Both got uncomfortably close to being inadequate protection.

https://www.amazon.com/SmokeWare-PN-401-Setter-Lifter/dp/B00XYZ3NUM

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Fangenbaum
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    blasting said:
    Hmmmm, too late for me to back out of the order - guess at $12 I'm better off than those $80 steel foundry workers' gloves I bought and can't use. I wonder - do you have large hands? Why wouldn't leaving the cuff turned back to prevent juice running down your arm make removal a snap? I swear I've seen videos of famous chefs tearing apart butts using those gloves so there must be some trick to using them.
    Wanna buy some foundry gloves?
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    blasting said:
    Wanna buy some foundry gloves?
    No...my venture in the steel foundry business didn't pan out after GM quit buying castings from me so I don't need them anymore.