Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would this work? Pulled Pork reheat for tailgate question

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
I'm in the mood for pulled pork at the NASCAR race coming up Sept. 10.  I'm thinking of cooking a butt, pulling it and Food Saver-ing it.  The day before the race, I'd thaw in the fridge, then double wrap the still sealed Food Saver bag in HDAF.  At the tailgate, I'd slowly heat it up on the small tailgate gasser, flipping to heat evenly.  After it is warmed, open the bag, and have Egged pulled pork with sauce, slaw and buns.  I think t will work.  I have taken thawed Food Saver pork and reheated it in a pot of simmering water and it turned out great.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Options
    My only concern would be the food saver bag melting even with it wrapped in HDAF.  I would think a foil pan and water on the gasser would do better.  
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i would go with the simmering pot and pack them thin so they heat faster
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Another vote against. Just heat a pot of water on the gasser and do what you've already done successfully. I think you will melt the plastic bags if you try the foil thing.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It might work but I would also be concerned about the bag melting.  I like the idea of a pan of water simmering on the gasser.  Once it is hot dump the water and empty the bag into the pan for serving. You can keep it warm on the gasser in the pan covered with foil.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Another vote against. Just heat a pot of water on the gasser and do what you've already done successfully. I think you will melt the plastic bags if you try the foil thing.
    You can do this. You need to heat it quick. 

I heated some some on the grill the other day. I let it thaw and then put it in an aluminum disposable container with a lid, put in a little water, then tossed it on the grill. Let it steam so it wouldn't get dry. 

It heated quick, then. I sauced. 

Good luck. Boogity boogity!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN